KBG still at sprout and pout stage from last Fall..

KerbDMK

LawnSite Platinum Member
I've read of other people on other forums complaining of slow green ups. One possibility that has been thrown out there is that the soil may have become compacted by excessive amounts of rain or water.

Seems plausible.

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Moisture plus warm soil is essential.
The official soil temp is 56 F; and Growing Degree days (base 50) are 61.
This at a nearby Ag weather station.
Tiny and sparse yet, but there is a small amount of germination in the Midnight seeding--sown on top of snow on January 13, 2020. Whoops I meant to label this better. Still trying.

And I heard a familiar noise--it was a lawnmower! Homeowner started today! Also I saw some new mowed grass in the park acreage.

SA400301.JPG

SA400300.JPG

OP
R

roody2333

LawnSite Bronze Member
about 25 days since started thread, about 5 days or so ago I'd say it's starting to green up and grow. Really slow to establish KBG from seed.

Some areas were sodded with %100 KBG last fall when seeded and the sod was growing a month+ ago needing cut.

nickg13

LawnSite Member
I'm in similar zone and overseeded + spot repair with midnight KBG last fall. It's definitely much slower than fescue as we'd expect. I also noticed some areas were as you describe: almost stagnated in growth & color. Most have grown & greened by now. The few that haven't are suffering from acidic soil and/or overcrowded seeding (I used a heavy hand in some of the most difficult areas).
Don't give up & don't sweat it unless you're seeing death symptoms. Just hold the line & be patient.

Top Forums