Keep an eye on your tailgate!

DVS Hardscaper

LawnSite Fanatic

KrayzKajun

LawnSite Fanatic
In the 3 years i worked for the police dept, i prolly took atleast 10 reports of stolen tailgates. a lot of them were stolen while trucks were parked at the boat launch.

sweetland

LawnSite Bronze Member
This is very common around RI. When I was buying my truck the dealer pointed out that the tailgate had a lock on it as if it was a special feature so I wrote it off until I heard how common it happens so now I leave it locked a lot of the time.
Posted via Mobile Device

OP
DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper

LawnSite Fanatic
I didn't realize they retailed for so much money.

KrayzKajun

LawnSite Fanatic
This is very common around RI. When I was buying my truck the dealer pointed out that the tailgate had a lock on it as if it was a special feature so I wrote it off until I heard how common it happens so now I leave it locked a lot of the time.
Posted via Mobile Device
dealer did the same thing when i bought my dually. i was like ok, until i priced what a new tailgate cost.:dizzy: now i lock mine.

Darryl G

Inactive
Just do what I do...keep the gate down and decide you need to backup your trailer a bit...jack it good and hard and listen for the crunch as it contacts the jack stand...makes them less likely to get stolen! If you don't have a trailer, just put it down and back it into a pole ;)

sweetland

LawnSite Bronze Member
Just do what I do...keep the gate down and decide you need to backup your trailer a bit...jack it good and hard and listen for the crunch as it contacts the jack stand...makes them less likely to get stolen! If you don't have a trailer, just put it down and back it into a pole ;)
I'd much rather take the 2 seconds to turn the key :)
Posted via Mobile Device

steve5966

LawnSite Member
I lost one earlier this year off a 2010 F-250. Dealer said $2500 for parts, labor and paint. I now own a $500 aftermarket gate. Should put the money I saved on the gate into a better camera and the bast*rd might not have looked like a ghost.

STL Ponds and Waterfalls

LawnSite Bronze Member
Keep an eye out for your model on Craigslist. This way you have an extra incase yours is wrecked or stolen. If it is stolen more than likely it will show up on CL. When the dealerships around here get hit they search CL first thing and a lot of times they'll catch the crackheads trying to sell the stolen items.:hammerhead: