1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

keep weeds away?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Josh18, Jul 1, 2004.

1. Josh18

Josh18 LawnSite Member
    from AL

Two weeks ago I had to weed a flower bed for a customer. Now, most all them are already coming back. How can I keep them from doing this? I am affraid to spray roundup because of all the plants in the beds. IS there anything else I can do?

2. Lombardi

Lombardi LawnSite Senior Member

Apply Preen a few times during the season. It won't kill anything. It just keeps seeds from germinating.

3. Neal Wolbert

Neal Wolbert LawnSite Senior Member

Try wicking or painting on Roundup mixture with a 1"-2" foam brush on existing weeds. No overspray and you won't damage any plant tissue unless you touch it with Roundup. Tape the brush on a dowel and you can treat standing up. Just rinse the brush good on the job site and dispose in the garbage. Pre-emergence (like Preen) herbicide applications at 60-90 day intervals should keep weeds at bay if you apply correctly. If you're not licensed, call a pro. Neal

4. Ice_Gargoylle

Ice_Gargoylle LawnSite Member
    from indiana

pre emerge: if annuals, use treflan, not preen.

5. rodsridentime

rodsridentime LawnSite Member

try sure shot ithink is what it called it a pre emergent

6. Neal Wolbert

Neal Wolbert LawnSite Senior Member

Preen is trifluralin...same as Treflan I think. Try XL2G as pre on annuals...no phyto problems. Surflan should be okay too. Neal

7. steve in Pa.

steve in Pa. LawnSite Senior Member

i believe its snap shot rod. suppose to keep weed free for up to 8 months.

8. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

Remember that pre-emergents only work on weeds that originally germinate from seed.

Pre-emergents to nothing to stop weeds that re-sprout from roots left after pulling. Those you need to either re-pull and get all of the root, or kill chemically.

Dan