1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Kees Yazoo

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by springman26, Jun 30, 2003.

1. springman26

springman26 LawnSite Member

Hello guys I'm new to the site, nice place. I have about 13 lawns that I cut on the side. I have an older 48 Exmark and brand new 48 Kees with a 15hp Kawasaki. Most of the time I cut solo. My uncle owns a mower shop here in town and has a 42in Kees rider with a 17hp Kawaski that I could get for about 5k. My question is do you think I would save any time with the rider? The rider has a smaller cut with the 42 vs. my walker at 48 in. Whatcha think?

2. tjcezar

tjcezar LawnSite Member
    from PA

I have 42" ZT max and I love it. I have no walk behinds but am hoping to get one soon to help with the large accounts I do have. It works great on small lawns and really minimizes edging. I can't say There weren't times when I wished I had a larger deck but like I said before with a nice sized walkbehind I think it would be a great combination.

3. tjcezar

tjcezar LawnSite Member
    from PA

Oh sorry I didn't answer your question! I think you would definately save time since maueverbility would be greatly increased.:D

4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

You WILL save time and energy. But while you spending, go ahead and drop the cash for the 48" deck and the most powerful one you can find.

You won't be sorry, I know I'm not ;)

5. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

The 42" ZTR will not save you time. The small deck with no trim side will increase your time with the string trimmer. Save your money for now. Get 5+ more accounts and buy a 52+ ztr.
    I had a Toro 42 ztr when I started out. Purchase a 60" Lazer. It was like night and day.

6. mh1314

mh1314 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I've got a 42" ZTR and really like it as I can get into alot of backyards through a side gate. When I'm in a large open area, I wish I had a bigger deck, but when you do the math, it doesn't take that much longer. :blob1:

7. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Who cuts the front and back?:D :D

Just funnin ya. Welcome to Lawnsite.
    To answer your question, I put it back to you. You have a great opportunity to learn if it will work out quicker. Ask your Uncle to let you DEMO that rider on the lawns you cut. Put a stopwatch to eack property from start to finish. Keep in mind that growing conditions are different and that a rider may or may not service your lawns as well. You also have to take into account that you are proficient with a WB and probably will be a little slower while getting used to a rider but in the end I am gonna bet you like the rider. Don't let that deck size throw ya. That is only a 6" per pass difference, the speed of the rider will make that up. The real difference is between a 42 and a 60 or 72 cut. Now you are talkin production.

DEMO the mower. Good Luck.