Kid Starting Out

hurrikanelandscaping

LawnSite Member
Hello, I am 16 years old and starting my own landscaping service with my friend. We are 50/50 partners, different aspects of the business we each take care of. He has been doing more of the door to door work trying to advertise and I have been taking care of all of the estimates for the responses we get. So far we have had 3 responses, one we have confirmed a weekly mowing service and the other two are very promising. We have one other property that we also service. We each own our own equipment and service it ourselves as i'm a mechanic at the local outdoor power equipment shop.

My main question is as a minor is there any way to be somewhat legitimate on a legal standpoint, whether it's registering as a llc, getting proper insurance, etc.

As we are not a legitimate business operation (not registered business or anything like that), what else can we do and not get in trouble in terms of advertising. We have done our share of putting flyers out in mailboxes/ going door to door and have been somewhat successful. Only thing is its such a slow process, it would be much easier to just put an advertisement in the newspaper. We do have a facebook page and a qr code on our flyer that links to it.

Any feedback would be a huge help, thanks a lot.

hurrikanelandscaping - Once you have a job or two under your belts, take pictures of the work you're doing and join YardShare.com as a Yard Expert. You'll be able to start building your portfolio of yards and at the same time begin expanding your visibility online.

If you don't have a website, you can refer potential clients to your YardShare profile and they can view your quality work for themselves.

More info here: http://www.yardshare.com/landscape-advertising.php

Let me know if you have any questions.

Bryan

flyingdutch16

LawnSite Senior Member
Hello, I am 16 years old and starting my own landscaping service with my friend. We are 50/50 partners, different aspects of the business we each take care of. He has been doing more of the door to door work trying to advertise and I have been taking care of all of the estimates for the responses we get. So far we have had 3 responses, one we have confirmed a weekly mowing service and the other two are very promising. We have one other property that we also service. We each own our own equipment and service it ourselves as i'm a mechanic at the local outdoor power equipment shop.

My main question is as a minor is there any way to be somewhat legitimate on a legal standpoint, whether it's registering as a llc, getting proper insurance, etc.

As we are not a legitimate business operation (not registered business or anything like that), what else can we do and not get in trouble in terms of advertising. We have done our share of putting flyers out in mailboxes/ going door to door and have been somewhat successful. Only thing is its such a slow process, it would be much easier to just put an advertisement in the newspaper. We do have a facebook page and a qr code on our flyer that links to it.

Any feedback would be a huge help, thanks a lot.
Now some people are going to disagree with me here. But if i were you just wait till you have 10 or so accounts. Then register as a solo properitorship. Thats what I did this year(17 years old right now)

For getting customers, door to door, fliers, door hangers, and word of mouth seem to be working well. Just get some business cards and spread them all over town!

Good luck this season

OP
hurrikanelandscaping

hurrikanelandscaping

LawnSite Member
Now some people are going to disagree with me here. But if i were you just wait till you have 10 or so accounts. Then register as a solo properitorship. Thats what I did this year(17 years old right now)

For getting customers, door to door, fliers, door hangers, and word of mouth seem to be working well. Just get some business cards and spread them all over town!

Good luck this season
Thanks a lot. Just wondering how long its taken you to build up to your 10 accounts?

flyingdutch16

LawnSite Senior Member
Thanks a lot. Just wondering how long its taken you to build up to your 10 accounts?
like one or two years, depends how far you out you go. I strictly only advertised in my neighborhood for a year and got 8 accounts. This year I can drive so I can go out side and make my advertising radius bigger.

OP
hurrikanelandscaping

hurrikanelandscaping

LawnSite Member
like one or two years, depends how far you out you go. I strictly only advertised in my neighborhood for a year and got 8 accounts. This year I can drive so I can go out side and make my advertising radius bigger.
Got 8 accounts in your own neighborhood!? Dam wish i could be that successful. Did you go door to door or just put flyers out?

flyingdutch16

LawnSite Senior Member
Got 8 accounts in your own neighborhood!? Dam wish i could be that successful. Did you go door to door or just put flyers out?
Well I started out with just two, the next year I send out an email to all my neighbors and asked if they were interested. So its kinda like word of mouth, and the fact that they saw me every weekend busting my *ss. So word hard and it will pay off!

OP
hurrikanelandscaping

hurrikanelandscaping

LawnSite Member
Well I started out with just two, the next year I send out an email to all my neighbors and asked if they were interested. So its kinda like word of mouth, and the fact that they saw me every weekend busting my *ss. So word hard and it will pay off!
Thats what im hoping for a lot of word of mouth to get business. putting in an order for business cards tomorrow night(would do it tonight but the stupid bank wont clear the checks i deposited friday) but ill be passing those and the flyers out a lot.

Also just for the future what did you do to register as a sole proprietorship. i am having trouble finding information on how to do that. do i just go to town hall and sign a couple of papers?
Thanks

LandFakers

LawnSite Fanatic
I would say wait until you have a few more accounts to legalize everything. While going legal is always the right thing to do right from the beginning, I dont see it being all that big of an issue, especially with less than lets say 15 accounts. Once you hit the 10 mark i would go all the way through and register. Its good your getting going early! Good luck this season. Oh, and if that your username will be your business name i definately have to say im digging it.

OP
hurrikanelandscaping

hurrikanelandscaping

LawnSite Member
I would say wait until you have a few more accounts to legalize everything. While going legal is always the right thing to do right from the beginning, I dont see it being all that big of an issue, especially with less than lets say 15 accounts. Once you hit the 10 mark i would go all the way through and register. Its good your getting going early! Good luck this season. Oh, and if that your username will be your business name i definately have to say im digging it.
Don't plan on really going legal this year. Once i get through the season in the winter i plan on doing it though. Hopefully i will have over 10 accounts, have my nice new(not new used) truck and plan on buying a new mower as my scag will probably just get me through the season. i know everybody says dont finance but at the scag dealer where i work 48 months 0% is pretty dam good.

Also with the username yes that is my business name. hurrikane is spelt the way it is because my name is kane. so whenever i talk to people i say "hi i am peter kane with hurrikane landscaping." other people like the name also.

Thanks a lot for all the help and advice.