1. Trouble Finding PPE, Sanitizer, and Cleaning Supplies?

How can you get what you need for the safety of your crews? Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Kids Toys. Cut This or Walk Away.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Turf Tracer, Sep 3, 2019.

1. Derwood

Derwood LawnSite Bronze Member

I have only been on LS a few years. But it does not appear as though a lot of folks have much face to face interaction with their customers. I know with many of my accounts, its next to impossible (I even have 1 older lady who will scurry up the driveway and shut the garage door when she sees us coming). But from reading a lot of posts over these past few years, it appears many are hesitant to have a conversation with their customer.

I DO agree with you in that a simple conversation with them would, at the very least, give you some idea for why their yard is left the way it is.

For me, if the pay is on par with the time and work, I'd find a way. If it kept getting worse and worse, and I could not speak with them about it, I'd dump them.

I am a huge fan of face to face whenever possible.

2. Derwood

My BAD!!

I have a type-o above ... I do NOT think many people on LS appear to have much face to face time with their client .

3. OP
    OP
    Turf Tracer

Turf Tracer LawnSite Fanatic

You are not able to talk directly to a homeowner anymore in some areas here; you deal exclusively with their Home Manager. In this case, one of the nannies was the acting Home Manager.

4. Greencuts518

Greencuts518 LawnSite Fanatic

Its cutting grass...lol..

5. Derwood

What does that mean?

6. kemco

kemco LawnSite Gold Member

I don't have time to talk face to face with a bunch of customers unless they are willing to pay me for my time. We can sit down and have tea and scones and chat about the weather as long as they are paying for my time and my other 3 guys who are on the clock sitting in my truck.

I know that sounds harsh but our cost to run the biz on a 4 man crew is around $1.50 every minute. A small $40 lawn, customer comes out and only talks 5 minutes. Virtually all profit is gone. I've just cut their lawn for free from the standpoint of company profit. Sure I'll talk every once in a while, it can't be avoided.

7. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

No kidding!!!

Guessing these are pretty wealthy folks.

8. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Good to read you have figured this out. Many never do.

9. kemco

kemco LawnSite Gold Member

Can't changed to can...

Yes, yes I did. Took me way too many years to do so though. Probably finally did because of LS, and a few good peoples insights.

10. Derwood

I'm not into tea and scones either lol. But if there's a problem, ie stuff all over the lawn, wouldn't a conversation be in order? How long would that take? 4 minutes tops lol? I would think most adult figures, with half an education, could speak clearly enough face to face with a client over a cluttered lawn, and arrive at an amicable resolution without too much trouble lol (we are talking about one HERE - if you have several, or a bunch, then I have no idea). Seems like a little time and effort on the front end, could make profits go up on the back end.

I'm guessing in Kemco's case, this account would be dropped. Too much time wasted moving toys and stuff would squash the profit margins (which I totally get)

Tea and scones lol.... there's no flavor in scones man!!

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019