Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am basically redoing my yard. I have a good amount of Bermuda trying to take over the rest of the crap I have in the yard, mostly weeds but some fescue so we decided to go with the theme.

My question is, is there anything I can spray that will kill everything except the bermuda ? I ordered Drive 75 and will do that later this week, but that will probably not kill the fescue will it ?

My plan is to spay the yard with Drive 75, aerate it, then seed heavy with bermuda.

Any suggestions is greatly appreciated, thank you.

PS. My first post :cool2:

·
Registered
79 Posts
I would get some Corsair. You have to use the higher end of the rates in the label but it will get it and most of the broadleafs and keep on kill the braodleafs for about 9 months depending on tha amount of rain you get during that time. I have said it before on this forum but I really like Corsair!!
Good Luck

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sprayman73703 said:
I would get some Corsair. You have to use the higher end of the rates in the label but it will get it and most of the broadleafs and keep on kill the braodleafs for about 9 months depending on tha amount of rain you get during that time. I have said it before on this forum but I really like Corsair!!
Good Luck
Will Corsair kill the fescue as well :help:

·
Registered
79 Posts
I am not sure if lesco has their own version of corsair. I don't know much about lesco's stuff. You will hve to get it from a supplier. You shoul;d be able to get it since it is not restricted use. And yes it will get the fescue.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Corsair is an "ok" product. Revolver is better, but more expensive..

Now if you choose Corsair, my recommendation is to NOT use it if you're getting torrential rains like we are in GA.. If it's been dry and you crabgrass appears stressed then I would use Corsair.

I feel a question coming on so let me explain. 8)

Corsair, like I mentioned is an "ok" product, however it's not as effective as it should be when Fescue is vigorously growing.. When the lawn is stressed from heat and lack of water, it does wonders..

Keep that in mind..

You second option is to wait until the Bermuda becomes COMPLETELY dormant then hit the fescue with Roundup.

Revolver - It doesn't matter when you use it, it'll work.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LawnJohn said:
Oh yeah.. Lowe's doesn't sell Corair, but Home Depot Landscape Supply (if it's in your area) may carry it, but hurry Home Depot Lanscape Supply has most of thier chemicals on clearance.
Ok, thanks for the great feedback. I will look for some "Revolver" as well, could this be at Home Depot as my Lowes doesn't carry anything worth using and Home Depot is about an hour away, and I have learned that when you call them it is 50/50 if you get ahold of someone that knows what they are talking about :dizzy:

·
Registered
147 Posts
LawnJohn said:
Corsair is an "ok" product. Revolver is better, but more expensive..

Now if you choose Corsair, my recommendation is to NOT use it if you're getting torrential rains like we are in GA.. If it's been dry and your crabgrass appears stressed then I would use Corsair...............
Correction..I meant FESCUE instead of crabgrass..

My bad.

·
Registered
245 Posts
How much fescue is there? If it is just a few clumps spray them with a 1% solution of roundup it is the cheapest way of getting control. You are re-seeding any way and the bermuda will bounce back and fill in those spots.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dallas Turf said:
How much fescue is there? If it is just a few clumps spray them with a 1% solution of roundup it is the cheapest way of getting control. You are re-seeding any way and the bermuda will bounce back and fill in those spots.
It is about 50% fescue unfortunately :angry:

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would spray the entire yard with a non selective and then seed the bermuda. Most of the bermuda probably will not be completly killed and will bounce back. If some bermuda gets completly killed it is no big deal since you are seeding anyway.

Thomas

PS I'll see you on the court.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Someone has been there and done that (doing it right now as a matter of fact)

My scenario is exactly the same as yours, so here is basically what I did.

- Spray Revolver to remove Fescue. Revolver costs $180 per 32oz bottle. You should spray it at about 0.4 oz per thousand. Try Lesco for purchasing. They will ship if necessary.

- Wait one week for the Revolver to do its thing.

- Mow as low as possible. Rent a dethatcher and aerator. Make multiple passes with each. Apply a starter fertilizer such as 18-24-12. Also apply 1/2 pound per thousand of 46-0-0.

- Broadcast seed no sooner than 7 days after spraying Revolver. Water lightly and frequently until you start to see germination.

- Seed will germinate in 14-21 days depending on what type you use. Once germination starts apply 1 pound per thousand of 46-0-0 every week to 10 days.

- Keep mowing every few days to keep your existing Bermuda low as it will spread faster. It will grow quickly with the Nitrogen being applied so heavily.

- If you have issues with crabgrass, you can spray Drive without causing any harm to the new Bermuda. Drive isn't cheap either, but avoid using MSMA on new seedlings.

All this might sound great on paper, but I can tell you what went wrong for me. When I initially applied the Bermuda seed it did not get good contact with the soil. This is critical with Bermuda, which is much different than with seeding Fescue or Rye for example. I'm getting some coverage now, but not as much as I should have by now. This is likely due to the seed getting "caught up" in thatch and existing grasses. I think that dethatching is a very important step you have to do here to be successful. Since there is no pre-emergent in the soil, crabgass (among other things) will become a problem. Drive will take care of it.

If I had it to do over again, I would suggest cultivating (tilling) the entire lawn and starting from scratch. Bermuda just does not do as well using an "overseed" method.

Regardless, you need to start this project ASAP to give your Bermuda time to come in before Fall.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
LawnJohn said:
I agree with TurfUnlimited regarding the prep work. Last year I rented a slit seeder which promoted seed/soil contact and it worked perfectly.

..just something else to consider.

LJ..
Thanks I will certainly look into the slit-seeder. SHould I still aerate the hell out of the yard even if I use the slit-seeder ?

With the slit-seeder do I just dump in the bermuda seed and start going, or do I have to calibrate it like a seed-spreader which measurements are on the back of the bag, however there is nothing stated about the use of a slit-seeder and what if any do I need to calibrate it to :dizzy:

·
Registered
147 Posts
reachthousands said:
...... SHould I still aerate the hell out of the yard even if I use the slit-seeder ?

With the slit-seeder do I just dump in the bermuda seed and start going, or do I have to calibrate it like a seed-spreader which measurements are on the back of the bag, however there is nothing stated about the use of a slit-seeder and what if any do I need to calibrate it to :dizzy:
Yes. Everything TurfUnlimited mentioned you should do to the letter. Slit seeders have settings (a dial) for the seed you intend to use so it's quite easy.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.