Killing big rag weeds

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Annual weed. My ideas. If you cannot find horses to eat it--let the frost kill it completely. Then cut the dead, brown residue plants with a saw-blade string trimmer. If ag equipment is available why not sickle-mow, bail like hay or cut it, like corn. If you cannot burn it--bundle it up, and tie the bundles with twine--haul away. I am not sure from the pictures if it is a yard--or a more open rural location. Seed grass in the fall--if this is possible--main seeding would probably have to be in spring. Next year, short mowing should keep it down after the seeds in the soil begin to arise. Tall weeds do not tolerate mowing. When the new grass is 4 inches tall--plan to spray in spring after ragweed appears--just to be sure. A broadleaf control like Trimec should work--provided you sock it on early--when the new ragweed is small and tender. Maybe follow-up with triclopyr if you reach the yearly application limit on the 2,4-D.

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
I went for a walk. Our giant ragweed is not so big around here. I found a few. Partial shade. 5 feet tall. It was remarkably easy to break it off with my bare hand.
Possibly you could run over it with some heavy equipment. Smash it down. Plant new grass seed in about 3 weeks.

OP
E

ed2hess

LawnSite Fanatic
I went for a walk. Our giant ragweed is not so big around here. I found a few. Partial shade. 5 feet tall. It was remarkably easy to break it off with my bare hand.
Possibly you could run over it with some heavy equipment. Smash it down. Plant new grass seed in about 3 weeks.
This is a power line area running across an HOA we service. All they want is 8 mows a year. This got away from me due to long wet spring. I mowed a lot of them with TT but thought I would try heavy dose of MSO + RU.

Cuando

LawnSite Member
Ed,

Take a look at a product called HardBall from Helena Chemical. It's neither Amine or Ester based 2,4-d that works incredible. Throw in a healthy dose of surfactant and you'll be golden. Awesome product.

OP
E

ed2hess

LawnSite Fanatic
Well here is what the rag weeds look like a week after the RU and MSO dose.
KIMG0050.JPG
KIMG0051.JPG

Top Forums