Killingsworth chain closed down...am i in trouble?

grassmasterswilson

LawnSite Fanatic
Apps aren't that big of a business here. I'm trying my best to make it though along with mowing. We had a chain type business open a store here about 6+ months ago. The name of the company in Killingsworth. They do lawn apps, pest control, and mosquitos. Think they are based out of Charlotte, NC and have expanded east in North Carolina. Thought it was pretty interesting when they opened since there isn't another chain here.

With there name recognition, larger funds for exspansion and advertising am I in trouble? Not sure if they still service this area or not. Wondering if this is a sign that apps aren't going to make it here, and if so I may need to start focusing on a different niche market.

Anyone heard of them and what type job they do? Any reason they closed down? Advice on what's next?

edit- did they close other stores? It may be that they wanted to consolodate around their home base in Charlotte. I see they no longer service any areas in central NC either.

REASON18

LawnSite Member
Just a few months ago they were advertising heavily in the Raleigh/Durham market where I am. But it was always about Pest Control Services, not lawn care. But then again, that same radio station already has a large lawn service company, Fairway Green, advertising. So maybe they couldn't do the lawn care advertising too...But I haven't heard any other advertising from them since now that you mention it. Look at their website at www.thebiggreenk.com and hit the lawn care tab to check their packages if you haven't done so already.

Have you tried for business in the higher end communities in Rocky Mount? It's not too much further than where you are at. And I know, there probably isn't many higher end neighborhoods in Rocky Mount....just a thought....

OP
G

grassmasterswilson

LawnSite Fanatic
Rocky mount isn't as nice as it once was. There are some nice homes but it's actually about 20 minutes from me. I've considered it on the past but worry I want pick up enough to cover my overhead. Hope to increase my spring advertising and see how it goes. Want to build my name locally and them expand to other towns and be able to charge a premium.
Posted via Mobile Device