Kinda got the itch for a V-ride.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by JayinKs, Aug 5, 2017.

1. JayinKs

JayinKs LawnSite Member

Since I bought my new TCII I haven't used my old Gravely but once. I kept it thinking I would use it for a back up, which it is, but just really don't even like using it since I got the Scag. So, I was kinda thinking about a used Vride in 36" for smaller stuff.

What's kinda odd Is you don't see stand ons in this area. Ever! Of all the guys mowing I know of one and he just bought it last year. They just aren't used around here, everybody rides. So, I'm trying to be open minded and I see so many guys on the forums using standers and liking them and thought one might be good for a back up and smaller properties. Are they a good way to go and what's your thoughts?

greenrhino72 likes this.
  2. Cuttin fast

Cuttin fast LawnSite Member

Well I'm in nc stand ons are everywhere at least in Charlotte and west of Charlotte just as popular as sit downs
    About 50/50 seeing more and more
    If I'm not mistaken wright manufacturing predicts by 2020 stand ons will outsell sit down zero turns
    But that's there thing
    I'd say they're geared more towards standons than any other manufacturer for sure
    (They invented the concept of standing? )
    I have both
    there's been a couple of times I wish I was on a stand on when I was sliding down a hill because it's safer and when it really boils down to it it's just a mower

3. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

no standers here either. make sure if you get one it's big enough for all properties when your TT2 goes down. might need to get a 48" or even a 52" if it will fit through gates.

4. JayinKs

JayinKs LawnSite Member

Weeze, I have the TCII. I was thinking the 36" just for being able to fit through any gates. As of right now my 61" fits on every property but if a property came up with limited space I figured the 36" would be ideal. Plus, even if the TCII went down and I needed it for a back up I would only "need" to to use it for a short period of time if need be and would get me by. A 48" ride won't fit through a 4ft gate so that's why I'm thinking 36".

5. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i meant to say tc2.

you don't know. i've had to use my backup for a week or so this year 2-3 times. dealers are slow especially in the spring time when they are backed up.

you don't wanna be out there trying to mow a 1-2 acre yard with a 36" mower. you may have all small yards though so you may be ok.

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I got used wright sentar 36" that I plan to sell....around $2500.

7. JayinKs

JayinKs LawnSite Member

Weeze, I could get by for a week or so with a 36" with my properties.

Ed, thanks for the offer but kinda got my set on a vride. Plus, Austin is a ways away. Prob see what my dealer has or check craigslist

8. ebone capone

ebone capone LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 36" v ride I'll sell. I'm in Kentucky though. If your name means you're in Kansas it's probably too far.

9. kynobi

kynobi LawnSite Member

How many hours on the 36" and how much are you asking?

10. jonnyz37

jonnyz37 LawnSite Senior Member

stand on mowers are the future. i have 2 vrides. love my 52", do not love my 36" i would not buy the 36 again, instead would recommend a walk behind with velky. 36 stand on mowers are very heavy for such a small machine...so they have poor traction on those small tires. And on slopes they mow uneven.