Lawn Care Forum banner

Kindergarden Welder

11K views 41 replies 18 participants last post by  larryinalabama 
#1 ·
#5 ·
You get what you pay for. The ground champ doesn't look the great. But good luck.

#9 ·
Here's the real problem with those machines. When you have to do more than a few inches of bead it will heat up and trip its own breaker. Then it won't work until it cools down. The duty cycle is stupid short on them. IMO you can't beat a Lincoln225 ac\dc stick welder for welding everything from sheet up to 1/4 inch angle. Takes a little practice to do good welding. CL is full of them for 150 with accessories. Mine is 30 years old and works like new.
Posted via Mobile Device

#11 ·
Here's the real problem with those machines. When you have to do more than a few inches of bead it will heat up and trip its own breaker. Then it won't work until it cools down. The duty cycle is stupid short on them. IMO you can't beat a Lincoln225 ac\dc stick welder for welding everything from sheet up to 1/4 inch angle. Takes a little practice to do good welding. CL is full of them for 150 with accessories. Mine is 30 years old and works like new.
Posted via Mobile Device
I was going to get a wire welder to "learn", I plan to get a stick welder if necessary later on.

#14 ·
Posted via Mobile Device
I agree. The buzz box is the best first welder for anyone.
Posted via Mobile Device

#15 ·
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah, that northern hydraulic's machine has a 20% duty cycle. I think that mean's it's only good for 12 minute's a hour ?

#16 ·
#17 ·
#19 ·
Is this what your talking about? So I would need 220V and how many amps
since it rates 40 to 225amps? I don't have that kind of power at a residential home...after have a big AC.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lincoln-AC-...40862983513?pt=BI_Welders&hash=item20cc168d59
Surely you have enough room in your breaker box for another 50 amp breaker.

Not sure you will be really happy with the burn-in of a small wire feed welder unless working with really thin metal. And yes, your eBay link is the exact welder we have.
Posted via Mobile Device

#20 ·
#21 ·
I have that northern tool welder for about a year, brought it to play around practice. If all you plan on welding is steel, it should be ok. You can take that cheap welder & make multiple passes and weld thick steel as long as you bevel the edges. The 140 Lincoln is better cause you can use gas (but you have to get tanks). As said by others, if you can afford a 220 volt it would be best.
Posted via Mobile Device

#23 · (Edited)
Get one that you can use gas.

Last year, I bought a Clarke 160 MIG off of amazon for $370 shipped with the gas regulator kit so I can add gas. It's kind of midway between a cheap HF welder and a Lincoln both price wise and quality. It's a 220V model. I wired up a 220V outlet in my garage right next to my breaker panel. Also, bought 15' of 10/3 extension cord to replace the factory cord so I can use it out in my driveway if I'm welding with fluxcore wire.

It uses TWECO tips (same as the lincoln) that can be purchased pretty much anywhere that sells welding stuff (HD & Lowes included).

I've used it a few times for various projects and it works just fine for how often I use it.

Here's a pic when I was welding the rock sliders on my Tacoma.

Welding a mount for my backpack blower on my trailer.

Here's a shot of the 220V outlet I added under my breaker panel in the garage. Cost me about $35 in parts (male plug for the cord, receptacle, wall box, wire, and a breaker)

The reason it says "welder only" is because it's wired differently than the way your dryer or oven would be wired.

#24 ·
Get one that you can use gas.

Last year, I bought a Clarke 160 MIG off of amazon for $370 shipped with the gas regulator kit so I can add gas. It's kind of midway between a cheap HF welder and a Lincoln both price wise and quality. It's a 220V model. I wired up a 220V outlet in my garage right next to my breaker panel. Also, bought 15' of 10/3 extension cord to replace the factory cord so I can use it out in my driveway if I'm welding with fluxcore wire.

It uses TWECO tips (same as the lincoln) that can be purchased pretty much anywhere that sells welding stuff (HD & Lowes included).

I've used it a few times for various projects and it works just fine for how often I use it.

Here's a pic when I was welding the rock sliders on my Tacoma.

Welding a mount for my backpack blower on my trailer.

Here's a shot of the 220V outlet I added under my breaker panel in the garage. Cost me about $35 in parts (male plug for the cord, receptacle, wall box, wire, and a breaker)

The reason it says "welder only" is because it's wired differently than the way your dryer or oven would be wired.
Can you tell me which brand your welder is....can't see it well. And interesting my first project will be to mount something for a blower. Is your rack for back pack or handheld? Likes like I will have to go 220V for sure but that is not a problem.

#26 ·
That's a Clarke. Not a bad mid price welder. The rack is for a backpack blower. 220v is the only way to go. 115v welders can barely weld foil. My next shop toy will be a plasma cutter. Tired of torch cutting. Gotta love tools.
Posted via Mobile Device
I agree...it takes heat to weld.
Posted via Mobile Device

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.