Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
… It will do the same thing when you run it up against the head of a hard-charging German Shepherd. So when things get real, be prepared to pull it down at a rapid rate if you have to make a quick second (or third) pass.

That’s exactly what I did, however the first pass was sufficient to re-format that dawg’s hard-drive. The customer’s daughters let that Dern-Fool Dawg out and gave it the chance it had waiting for all season. I wear Motorcycle Goggles that block some of my peripheral vision, so with my head down, all saw was a fleeting glimpse of a large white object coming fast and low at 10 O’clock about 3 feet away. No barking, this dawg wanted action.

I was already on alert status due to an earlier sighting of three highly active hornets. There wasn’t even time to say NO! In the blink of an eye, I whipped that edger-head across my body and felt that Stihl FC85 Edger/Dawg-Whacker jump about a foot. So I knew there was solid contact. Then I felt myself recovering from that jump and moving for another pass before there was time to think. It was one of those classic slow-motion deals that actually only took a few seconds.

While I was at the ready for more action, that White German Shepherd was moving away at a rapid (albeit skewed) gait. It’s head was cocked down and twisted to the right, so I thought it might have been hit in the eye. It tried to yelp, but I got the distinct impression there were immense waves of pain coursing through its head. So as it weaved a crooked path back across the open yard to a familiar refuge, the dawg was making some VERY weird noises.

I started to continue working, but I thought that MIGHT seem a little cold, hehe. So I left the engine running on my trusty Dawg-Whacker and went to see if it lost an eye. No eye damage, but I did put something on that dawg’s head that Ajax won’t take off. Last I saw, they were taking “Sugar” to the Vet for stitches, but it’ll be lucky if it doesn’t have a cracked head-bone.

Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE dogs. Maybe it’s the Chinaman in me, hehe. Just kidding, because I don’t like to hurt animals. Never the less, when they attack, for ANY reason, I will use (and do) anything to turn the tables. Of all the dogs I’ve been around, I’ve NEVER seen a stable White German Shepherd. Seems like I heard something about a lot of in-breeding with those things.

I know I’m fortunate not to have had my back turned (or running the blower) when that crazed dog made its move, but I had made my mind up a long time ago about this circumstance (should it arise). No thinking, no time, it was all pure reaction. That customer is lucky in many ways. I don’t have to go to the hospital. And they know for sure that they have a dangerous animal before it actually hurts someone. Though I doubt this will be enough of a warning for them to take appropriate action.

I might have to change my call-sign to “Dawg Smack.”

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey Blue,

I have the same probs with two customers. I love animals as well and would want my dog to be the same way with strangers as he is. But I have found that keeping a box of dog biscuits on the truck workd wonders.

Both customers and dogs are happy. The dogs are actually happy to see me now.

Both customers want me to wait for them to mow becuase of thier dogs and are in awe of why the dogs like me when they FINALLY show up.

·
Banned
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good advice. That thought occurred to me as I was leaving. But EVERY other dog loves me, so I usually don’t have to worry about it. This dog supposedly, “doesn’t like men.” A real b-itch. It's always locked up in the house when a man comes over. I will try the biscuit thing though. Easy, cheap, and effective. Cool

·
Registered
17 Posts
Read your profile and thought you may be interested. I saw this at a local country store.

"Land of the free.... BECAUSE..... of the Brave"

One of those things you cannot forget. Ya Know.

Johnny

·
Registered
17 Posts
Curiously wondering where you are from..

And I thought you may like that. I certainly did.

Johnny

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Bluesteel, ya gotta do what ya gotta do.
Learned long ago that when an animal attacks, all your options are removed but one, survival.
Love dogs too, but if they get the idea I'm food, it's time to change their mind.

You've got to post something when you work that yard again, will Sugar show her face? Tune in next time for the adventures of Bluesteel and Dawg Wacker, episode II.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Originally posted by Bluesteel
Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE dogs. Maybe it’s the Chinaman in me, hehe. Just kidding, because I don’t like to hurt animals. Never the less, when they attack, for ANY reason, I will use (and do) anything to turn the tables. Of all the dogs I’ve been around, I’ve NEVER seen a stable White German Shepherd. Seems like I heard something about a lot of in-breeding with those things.

LOL...You are correct about white german shepherds. I have always heard from professional "real german shepherd" breeders that only 1 in a 1000 are not inbred therefore most are quite dense and highly volatile. Maybe "sugar" will think twice or in her case 4 times to get it next time.

·
Banned
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Next week, I'm going back with soft dog biscuits and 15% Pepper spray. Friend or fiend, it will be the dogs call, though I prefer friend. Never the less, if there's any intimidation, it will be me over the animal. Can't stand any rude behavior in an animal, won't tolerate it.

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
Dalmation got me in the hand, put me out of work for over a month, and took many months of therapy to regain most of it's use back. Still gets a bit numb or sore at times, and can't barley touch my thumb and pinky together. Could have been worse I guess. I keep a knife attached to my pocket now. I know a knife isn't the best thing to have probably, but I feel I couldn't get to, open, then spray a dog in time. Even if I'm on the ground defending, I can still get my knife. Hope it never happens again, guess I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

~Nest

·
Registered
768 Posts
I'm good with animals and have never been bitten. I think one of the reasons I haven't been bitten is the abillity to tell when I will not be safe in the lawn alone with a dog, which probably represents less than 10% of dogs.

I had one such case, with a customer who kept assuring me that once he introduced me to his dog, the dog would be OK. He was partially right, because, after about 3 or 4 visits to the back yard without the owner home, the dog eventually let me pet him. The boxer made me nervous before that several times, not because he barked, but because he had a habbit of charging at me, and although he always stopped, this did not give me very much confidence. Even the last time he let me pet him, he ran towards me again barking when I came back with the line trimmer. I don't know wheter he just didn't see well, or didn't like my trimmer, but I didn't take any chances. I held the trimmer out in front of me and said "Bring it on!" (with a couple of explitives as well) in a very loud tone to let the dog know that I meant business. Well, the dog changed his mind, but if he hadn't, I'm sure weed-trimming his nose would have helped him reconsider, which would have been my next move.

I told this customer I needed him to be home because I still didn't trust his dog. I haven't heard from him, but it's just as well, because I'm not going to risk being hurt and unable to work for one customer. The dog is his responsibillity, not mine.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Glad to hear you Dawg Wacker had obviously been freshly tuned up and was ready for business. You can never really trust an animal that isn't your own but even then you could get bitten. Glad it turned out ok for everyone.

Gravely_Man

·
Banned
4,396 Posts
Originally posted by Bluesteel
Next week, I'm going back with soft dog biscuits and 15% Pepper spray. Friend or fiend, it will be the dogs call, though I prefer friend. Never the less, if there's any intimidation, it will be me over the animal. Can't stand any rude behavior in an animal, won't tolerate it.
I think I'd let this lawn go. You've already had one close call. You might not be quick enough on the draw next time. Also, I'm surprised the owners didn't try to blame you for hurting their poor baby. Lucky they were somewhat reasonable people, though anyone who would keep a dog that would attack someone is crazy, since they're likely to be sued if it hurts someone. Pepper spray can be ineffective on a enraged animal, plus get some unlucky wind and you could blind yourself just as you need your sight to be able to run away from a dog.

Maybe you can make friends with the dog, but I've learned just to let the problematic lawns go and find easier things to do. I also think your customers don't really care about your safety. If they did, the dog wouldn't be getting outside, ever, when you're there. I hope you're charging extra for your trouble.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
I DON'T like dogs, and I refuse to mow a lawn with a dog out on it. I've had a few runins with dogs, and I've been lucky that the weed wacker has worked to fend them off so far. I have found dogs don't like the noises from the equipment and it drives them nuts. I don't take chances, and I won't work with them around. I don't care how lovey and fluffy old Spike is with his owners, keep the thing away from me. And I would not hesitate to defend myself from an animal with the full force of the equipment if necessary. When it comes down to it, my life is far more important than any stupid animal's life.

:mad:

·
Registered
835 Posts
A few years back I was cutting a lawn I do every week and had been for a few years prior to this. It's a 2 family rented house. So I do the front yard and work my way around back, watching where I am going with the machine a 36" Scag.. Do one circle around the outside and start to do the center and all of a sudden I see something from the corner of my eye... Youewwwwwww A Rotwieler comes running , druling and angry right towards me.. Ughh.. SO I turn the Scag towrads him and raise the deck in the air.... Did not hit the dawg but he backed off.. and then the best was that the tenneants were not even home...... So I carefully took my machine and left.. A nasty call to the landlord and never saw the dawg again... BUt he is there, cause his poop is in the lawn, But I"ll talke taht over him.... LOL...

·
Registered
192 Posts
When I was 13yrs old I was bitten in the face by a collie just like cute ol' Lassie. I tell ya that b-itch was after my throat. After I was bitten I kicked the dog until it was whimpering. I had to get 28 stitches in my lip. And I had to go through rabie shots. Thats something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy (well maybe my x-wife:p )

Anyway, I have a problem with certain breeds. White sheperds is one of them. I also don't trust Rots, Dobermans and most older sheperds. Mutts I seem to never have a problem with.

Well I'm glad to see that you won that battle. When you lose against a dog it really sucks.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.