1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Kohler 25hp blowing fuses

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by MOOSE, Sep 2, 2003.

1. MOOSE

MOOSE LawnSite Senior Member

My Kohler 25 is blowing fuses. Any clue what it may be guys!

Need help quick..

2. Wangel

Wangel LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

Last mower similar to this that I worked on that had a similar problem was caused by one of a few things.

Battery was bad - shorted cell or low on water. Check battery.
    Poor battery connections - rust or not tight. Clean and tighten.

3. Jman

Jman LawnSite Member

Try unplugging the voltage regulator. If it quits blowing fuses, the chances are the stator may be shorted to ground.

4. MOOSE

MOOSE LawnSite Senior Member

Jman,Jman,Jman you saved my day. thanks, that was it. unplugged it and bingo.... At first I was like uhhhh. But then I decided to just try it. Wasted 2 hours already, why not try what u had said..

Thanks for the help...

5. NCSERVICE

NCSERVICE LawnSite Member

some thing is grounded, get a schematic from your dealer, and chase it.

6. BODIDDLY

BODIDDLY LawnSite Member

i had the same problem it was the starter.....

7. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Unpluging the voltage regulator does not tell you all that much about blown fuses. It could be a bad voltage regulator, a bad battery or a short in the wiring. To test for a stator shorted to ground , with the engine off unplug the voltage regulator and take a test meter and set it to OHMS. Test between the stator leads , the two out side wires on the plug and the frame of the engine. You should get OPEN (no reading or a very very high reading, in the Megaohm range) between the startor leads and the frame. Now between the stator leads them self the reading should be low, less than 5 ohms if I remember right. A very weak battery of one with a dead cell will blow fuses because the voltage regulator is overloading trying to charge a bad bad battery. Remove the battery and put it on a battery charger over night and then try it.