1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Kohler 27 HP fuel pump

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cajuncreole, Jun 24, 2005.

1. cajuncreole

cajuncreole LawnSite Member

I have an Exmark 52" 27hp Kohler. It just stopped running. I pulled the fuel filter and it was clear, I replaced it and took the line off after the pump and got no flow when I cranked the engine.

I went to my dealer for a new fuel pump. The mechanic, a very knowledgeable fellow gave me a Briggs pump part OEM # 808656. He said it was "exactly the same pump as a Kohler for 1/2 the cost. I asked for a new fuel filter and instead of a Kohler he gave me a Stens made for a Tecumseh, he said it was a better filter.

I replaced the filter and pump and it cranked up fine and even seemed to give me a few more rpm's from the sound of the engine. HOWEVER when I got to some thick grass the engine started to bog down. Now I was never able to bog down that 27hp Kohler before, and this was not that heavy of a lawn. It did this twice and started right up after it happened each time. So for the heck of it I went to some heavy grass, now it would have cut this without a whimper before. I went through it slowly about 1/2 speed, and it bogged down right away.

Did putting this Briggs fuel pump and Stens filter effect the power. This was suggested from the head mechanic at the dealer I purchased this from. Obviously I cannot contact Kohler.

Any ideas?? Am I hurting the engine??

I appreciate any thoughts or advice.

2. riches139

riches139 LawnSite Senior Member

Pull your plugs, and make sure both cylinders are firing.