Kohler 7000 crankcase pressure?

Bird of prey

LawnSite Member
On a Kohler 7000 V Twin, should the crankcase have a lot of pressure? Engine has good compression on both cyls.
If you remove the dipstick at idle, it throws a lot of oil out.
Is this normal?
I think the motors running hot
Any recommendations for a temp gauge?
Thanks in advance.

Breezmeister

LawnSite Silver Member
OP
B

Bird of prey

LawnSite Member
There should be a breather tube from the crankcase or valve cover that goes to the intake. Sounds like this is clogged or collapsed.
Item 27 on this page: https://www.ereplacementparts.com/kohler-kt7303012-engine-parts-c-106503_106533_286057.html

As for hot, I'd pick up a cheap infrared thermometer like this and use that to check the cylinder head temps.
Any particular spot on head to ck. Temp? Mostly shrouded.
What is max temp?
I've got a infrared thermometer.
Thanks

nojak

LawnSite Member
Good question. I'm not really sure.
I should grab mine and check my various small engines after giving them a good thrashing, figuratively speaking. Or you could check other engines you have and compare, trying to check them at the same place on the engine. I figure most air cooled small engines should run at similar temperatures, but I'm really just guessing. No idea how 2 vs. 4 stroke affects this
All will be hottest at the exhaust valve, cooler on the cylinder walls, at least for 4 stroke engines.

JagT20N

Inactive
actually you check the temp right below the cylinder head face where the bore starts as thats the hottest spot as thats were the flame starts to expand and throws the heat , as for temp , I cannot find my book but VW and also Pratt-Whitney published a chart of temps for safe operation on air cooled IIRC its around 425*F ,
if you keep the air flow clear ( clean fins and fan cover pull the covers off about 1/2 way thru the season and check them as there are some small ports that plug up from fine grass and dust ) then you only have to worry about the heat of the oil , as when it gets hot it cokes ( turns to carbon ) and it will cut metal real good ) so a good High temp oil in in order like A H-D uses , some people prefer 20-50 , a low ash diesel oil ( like rotella , delo ), is good as they are made for high heat of diesels

hal

LawnSite Fanatic
On a Kohler 7000 V Twin, should the crankcase have a lot of pressure? Engine has good compression on both cyls.
If you remove the dipstick at idle, it throws a lot of oil out.
Is this normal?
I think the motors running hot
Any recommendations for a temp gauge?
Thanks in advance.
Why would you remove the dipstick while the engine is running?

OP
B

Bird of prey

LawnSite Member
To check for blow by pressure. I guess this only works on older engines. On my Wheelhorse garden tractor with a Kohler M14, no oil comes out, like with car engine.