Kohler 7000 Series Endplay in Crankshaft

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Doublewide6, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Doublewide6

Doublewide6 LawnSite Member

Kohler ps-kt745-3011 Vertical 26hp engine
    Engine was leaking oil at bottom crank seal. I noticed a bit of side to side wobble on the lower end of the crank. With engine running the shaft appears to be true (not bent). I thought the engine would need new crank bearings, but the parts diagram does not show any bearings in this engine. With pto removed from crank and all belts removed from the engine it vibrates too much for me. I didn't take the engine off the mower yet, but I wanted to post here to get some info. Since there are not crank bearings can I just replace the bottom sump? With the crank being steel it think the wear would be on the aluminum sump? I would think the top of the crank would be okay because there is more pressure on the bottom with all the belts and pto. I am going to have to take apart and inspect, but was wondering what parts to really focus in on, or if you have ever seen this happen with these engines. thanks

2. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Fanatic

For some reason, most sumps don't have a bearing. A lotta cases have a bearing on the flywheel end only.
    Pull it apart afore ya order a sump. crank may be scored, right ?

3. OP
    OP
    Doublewide6

tore her down. Removed sump looked very good same with lower end of crank. With sump removed I can wiggle the top end a bit. Does this engine have a bearing up top? I'm still thinking problem is going to be with the block and not the crank? I will remove flywheel and top tomorrow. Do the blocks wear away up top or is there usually damage to they crank?

4. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Fanatic

5. OP
    OP
    Doublewide6

This is the sump. You see the groove where the oil hole is? Should that groove/ledge be there? The pics show it from both sides. Also came looks a little burnt, but no scoring or anything is the Cam OK? Thanks
    IMG_3150.jpg IMG_3148.jpg IMG_3149.jpg IMG_3147.jpg IMG_3150.jpg IMG_3148.jpg IMG_3149.jpg IMG_3147.jpg

6. hal

hal LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Georgia

It looks like it is for oil circulation.

Breezmeister likes this.
  7. JoeRagMan

JoeRagMan LawnSite Member

Looks like the camshaft got very hot, don't think it should have a blue tint on the cam lobes.

8. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from South Jersey

Wow :eek:

There was a lot of heat in there.......

I guess you could short block that engine if it's available... Check the heads for flatness. Do a search for @piston slapper, he goes into how to check and fix them if they are warped.....

Personally, if that was in my shop, I'd just replace the engine.......

9. OP
    OP
    Doublewide6

Can anyone tell me definitely if the groove is needed in the sump? I thought it was factory, but I haven't seen a picture of any Kohler sump with that groove. I'm thinking the groove would cause endplay and oil to leak from the bottom seal. I think the new cam is needed and I will look into the heads being flat. Thanks All.

10. 65t

65t LawnSite Member

Grove is not supposed to be in the lower main bearing in the oil pan. Chances are if you look at it, the grove is probably in the direction of belt tension. I wouldn't worry about the camshaft, that style camshaft is usually that color. Order a new oil pan and reassemble it and check to make sure your belts are not too tight.

Breezmeister likes this.