Kohler Aegis 23 - issue.

231MF

LawnSite Member
Hi,

I have a Bush Hog M2360 zero turn mower with a Kohler Aegis 23 engine. Oil was changed along with fuel filter 15 hours ago at 700 hours. The past three times running, the starter seems to be dragging and sometimes won’t turn over without a light tap to the starter. I read in the service manual that the starter should be serviced at 500 hours so that’s coming soon.
The past two times of use the mower has turned off after 10-15 minutes of use. Coolant level is good, oil level is good. Last night when it shut down, I could pour a tiny amount of gas in the carb and get it to start, but would die after that fuel was consumed. After letting it sit for 10-15 minutes it fired right up and I immediately got it back in the barn. I started and stopped it several times once back in the barn without issue and it even idled for about 10 minutes.

Seems like a fuel/electrical item. Could this be a faulty fuel shutoff solenoid?

Any theories would be appreciated.

JoeRagMan

LawnSite Senior Member
Sounds like you have multiple problems. First you state that the starter doesn’t work unless it’s rapped. You need to check voltage at the battery while cranking the engine. If the voltage doesn’t drop too much (10.5 volts?) you need to verify that the battery connections are clean and tight, the starter solenoid/relay is getting 12 volts from the key switch. If it is the starter that needs replaced, I have ordered from DB Electrical, great service.
Second problem sounds like a fuel restriction or a fuel pump that is failing (if it has a fuel pump) but the fuel shutoff solenoid could be failing. You could remove the solenoid temporarily and install a bolt with the same thread pitch to see if that solves the problem. Intermittent problems can drive you nuts, good luck!

OP

231MF

LawnSite Member
Joe,

Checked the solenoid and its opening/ closing. I found that that fuel pump was leaking through the little screen on the side.
Installed new filter, fuel pump and hoses. The new pump is doing the same thing. Fuel flows through the filter but not through the pump.
Any ideas?

OP

231MF

LawnSite Member
image.jpg

OP

231MF

LawnSite Member
I disconnected the vacuum line from the engine to the fuel pump and turned the key. I can feel it pulsing air through the hose.

I reconnected the vacuum line to the pump. I then disconnected the line that runs from the fuel pump to the carb at the carburetor. Hit the key and can feel it blowing air through the hose, but fuel oozes out of the fuel pump at the bronze/copper colored screen.

To me the new fuel pump is doing the same as the old fuel pump.

frustrated!

JoeRagMan

LawnSite Senior Member
First, verify they sent you the correct part and the inlet and output ports are connected to the correct fuel lines. Second, I would pinch off the inlet fuel line gently with vice grips ( I use needle nose vice grips with small pieces of tubing over both jaws to protect fuel line) and disconnect the line. Open the vice grips and verify fuel flow from the tank by flowing fuel into a spare container. There might be a restriction in the fuel tank or fuel line. If every checks out okay, verify the fuel line from the pump to the carburetor is clear. Unless the part is wrong or defective, not much can go wrong with those pumps. Sounds like you‘ve covered everything, just double check what was changed? Let us know what you find, good luck.

OP

231MF

LawnSite Member
Went ahead and replaced the starter& solenoid. Works like it should now. Will rebuild the old starter when I have a moment and keep as a backup

OP

231MF

LawnSite Member
Mowed grass for about 5 minutes, ran great. All of a sudden died. Plenty of fuel, didn’t stand up(kill switch) not sure why. Tried to restart no firing. Let it sit 15 minutes and it started back up like nothing was wrong.

today ran for maybe five minutes no issues and then died. Put a cap full of gas in the carb on the separate times and fire up and ran until the capful was burned. On the third time, it stayed going and ran for over 5 minutes without issue.

I’m miffed as to what this is. Any more ideas?

Top Forums