1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

kohler ch22 with dead cylinder?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by smokey, Sep 8, 2005.

1. smokey

smokey LawnSite Member

I have a kohler CH22 twin with a dead cylinder. It is getting spark and fuel what else could be the problem? Valve gaps maybe? But I think it has hydraulic lifters and the vavles are not adjustable. Any thoughts?

2. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: are you sure you have spark? does it have a smart spark box?

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

As GG asked are you sure you have spark, If so I would suggest pulling the valve cover and and make sure the rockers are opening both valves all the way (Of course with the plug wires off) You may find a bent pushrod or collapsed lifter. If neither of these I would do a leak-down test on both cylinders and compair the results.

4. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

PULL THE VALVE COVER. I went in and inspected the valves on a similar engine on a 52 inch proline and the rocker arms were both snapped in half. I would HIGHLY suggest you pull the valve cover, when you do you will have four pieces of rocker arms drop out; least that was my experience.