• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Kohler Charging issues

lsylvain

LawnSite Senior Member
25hp Kohler.

I'm getting 30+ off the stator
I have 12 at the B+ terminal on the regulator with key on.

Pulled a regulator off another machine that was working and swapped it out. No change.

The ground is also good as well.

All signs point to the regulator being bad, but it was just working on another machine. I have not switched it back to see, maybe it got fried? If it got fried what could be doing that?

Driving me nuts here.

rotti1968

LawnSite Member
2. Remove connector from rectifierregulator.
With engine running at
3600 RPM, measure AC voltage
across stator leads using an AC
voltmeter.
2. If voltage is 28 volts or more, stator is OK. Rectifierregulator
is faulty. Replace the rectifier-regulator.
If voltage is less than 28 volts, stator is probably faulty
and should be replaced. Test stator further using an
ohmmeter (Test 3).
No Charge
to Battery
3a. With engine stopped, measure the
resistance across stator leads using
an ohmmeter.
3a. If resistance is 0.064/0.2 ohms, the stator is OK.
If the resistance is infinity ohms, stator is open. Replace
stator.
3b. With the engine stopped, measure
the resistance from each stator lead
to ground using an ohmmeter.
3b. If the resistance is infinity ohms (no continuity), the stator is OK (not shorted to ground).
If resistance (or continuity) is measured, the stator leads
are shorted to ground. Replace stator

Hope this helps some...

OP
L

lsylvain

LawnSite Senior Member
Thanks for the cut and paste Rotti.

25hp Kohler.

I'm getting 30+ off the stator

Pulled a regulator off another machine that was working and swapped it out. No change.

The ground is also good as well.

All signs point to the regulator being bad, but it was just working on another machine. I have not switched it back to see, maybe it got fried? If it got fried what could be doing that?

Driving me nuts here.

OP
L

lsylvain

LawnSite Senior Member
regulator is good. I put it in my Exmark and it works. I took the one off the exmark and tried it on the other engine and get the same results.

Stator is good measured 38 volts

Bipassed all mower wiring and ran a line from battery to B+ to eliminate any potential mower wireing issues that may be causing the problem.

Still no charge.

One thing I did notice was that when the regulator is connected and I try to test the stator leads I don't show any voltage. It seems like I have gotten voltage before when testing with it hooked up but maybe not. If I remove the B+ wire I can read the voltage again.

WTF this is driving me crazy.

topsites

LawnSite Fanatic
Honestly I think you've got the wrong wire / lead,
you should be able to test that lead wire bare with
a voltmeter and get something, even without it
being hooked to the battery.

So that's what I would do, is find the low amp lead with a voltmeter,
or whichever one it's supposed to be but to my understanding the high
amp lead is for lights and starter and not sure about the clutch but anyhow...

A wiring diagram would help greatly.

Jay19LM

LawnSite Member

12 doesn't tell me much but,
If you have battery voltage at the B+ with the key on and engine off then you have just isolated the circuit to the battery. You have 30v ac at the stator then you just isolated the stator as not being the problem. You must use a digital meter. First check battery voltage before starting the engine. Lets say your battery has 12.04 V just sitting there. Start the engine, run up to operating speed check the voltage with the deck off, then check voltage with the deck engaged if it has a elec pto. Now check voltage, lets say you now have 12.99 v , then it is charging and your done. If the voltage drops below your first reading lets say to 11.80 v then you have a charging problem. You can't read this voltage with a analog meter. Also not all charging systems put out 2-3V over battery voltage. Make sure your battery is not bad. Do you have a amp meter on your machine. Let me know what readings you get. Jay

betmr

LawnSite Bronze Member
I was just thinking...could it be a bad battery? What makes you think it's not charging?...Because the battery won't hold a charge?

Sometimes it's the simplest things.

VegetiveSteam

LawnSite Senior Member
lsylvain One thing I did notice was that when the regulator is connected and I try to test the stator leads I don't show any voltage. [/B said:
It seems like I have gotten voltage before when testing with it hooked up but maybe not. If I remove the B+ wire I can read the voltage again.

WTF this is driving me crazy.
Bingo! I never check a stator without it being plugged into the regulator exactly for the reason you just stated. With no load on the stator you may show good voltage but once you put a load on it voltage drops or goes to zero. The Kohler service manual even tells you to unplug it but I disagree with that procedure. Check the stator again unplugged and then plug it back in and check it again. If you still have no voltage with it plugged in take a resistance test across the leads and also test for continuity at each stator lead to ground. You should have no continuity to ground on either lead. Also when you check resistance across the leads it should read between 0.064 and 0.2 ohms. Sounds to me like a stator issue but more testing needs to be done.