1. Ask the Expert TODAY!
    Learn how to do more with less when it comes to your fertilization services. Gather your top questions about fertilization and nutrient management and join the live Ask the Expert event hosted by Koch Turf & Ornamental TODAY at 12-2 p.m. ET in the Fertilizer Application forum .

Dismiss Notice

Kohler Command 20HP head gasket repair

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mcambrose, Jan 28, 2008.

1. mcambrose

mcambrose LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone know where I can get instructions on head gasket replacement for Command 20 twin without buying a repair manual?

I need to know the recommended tightening sequence and the recommended torque settings and any other important information.

The kohler tech rep suggested retorquing the bolts after it has run a few hours. He said just to remove the OHV cover to retorque.

Thanks

2. lucforce

lucforce LawnSite Member

I quit "re torquing" those head bolts long ago. I checked them for years after an install while they were playing with the head gasket construction, but they never need tightening after a run. So, I stopped checking. I stand by the idea that these gaskets fail due to improper fastener torque-largely at the factory. I have seen some individuals never able to seal a set of heads after multiple attempts. I have never had a set that I repaired fail.

I believe that Kohler will let you download the manuals.

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

4. mcambrose

mcambrose LawnSite Senior Member

You had previously sent me the link to the kohler site for parts lookup (which I use often), but I didn't have the site for service informaiton. This is really helpful. Thanks very much. I downloaded the manual to my computer at home and work, so I can find it either place.

5. Indy Kyle

Indy Kyle LawnSite Member

Tourque settings are over-rated.