Kohler command fuel solenoid

Rpf207

LawnSite Member
My 1995 craftsman gt with a Kohler cv22s 22.5 hp runs excellent for its age but the original owner had rewired the fuel solenoid to be shut off via the headlight switch(so no headlights at all). How it works is to start the engine you turn the headlight switch on which turns on the solenoid then start the engine. At shut off you MUST turn the key off, let the engine completely stop, then flip the switch off. If you flip the switch off after the ignition is turned off but before the engine has died the engine will fire back up. If you turn the switch off while the engine is running the engine will remain running but not as smooth as with it on.

I’d like for everything to be the way it was when new. I’m wondering if anyone knows why it does this. Maybe the carb is old and needs replacing, or a new solenoid??? I’d rather it not be jerry rigged even though when operated in correct order it functions fine. I’m about to tinker with it myself to search for the answer but seeking others knowledge prior to investigation can be very helpful.

Mac-s Lawn & Snow

LawnSite Bronze Member
the solenoid has a rubber plunger on the end of it and it sounds like its worn out or disconnected. I am gonna guess that the key switch failed at one point and was replaced with one that doesn't support the fuel solenoid so it got wired into the headlight switch. Sounds like something I would do.

OP
R

Rpf207

LawnSite Member
the solenoid has a rubber plunger on the end of it and it sounds like its worn out or disconnected. I am gonna guess that the key switch failed at one point and was replaced with one that doesn't support the fuel solenoid so it got wired into the headlight switch. Sounds like something I would do.
The key switch seems to be original. The way it operates currently would make it seem if the solenoid was switched using the ignition then the engine wouldn’t shut off as the solenoid requires a delayed off.

Top Forums