hdtvluvr

LawnSite Senior Member
Dixie Chopper (2004)
Kohler Command Pro 25
Family 3KHXS.7252GC
Displ. 725 Model CV730S
Spec No CV730-0014
S/N 3331110981

The engine is very difficult to start and has been for quite some time. Sometimes I run the battery down trying to start it. Last year the dealer checked it out and said one cylinder needed a new head gasket so it was replaced. Oil, oil filter, fuel filter, air filter and plugs were also changed. Problem was still there. Instead of sending it back to the dealer and waiting several more weeks, I just lived with it. Now I want it fixed.

After reading several posts here, many said to be sure the choke is fully closed. I checked that and it does fully close. It is also getting spark at both plugs. Since I can't seem to determine the problem, I took it to a new shop Friday. I don't know how long they will keep it but I'd like to know what they might find.

Oh, and I've used 89 octane pure gas for 2 years. Before that, I used 87 with ethanol.

Any ideas?

BTW, can anyone tell from the engine specs what the amp output might be?

piston slapper

LawnSite Platinum Member
How does it run when you do get it started?
Does it use any oil? What do the sparkplugs look like?
Starter could be weak...bad ringear on the starter...low compression.
Should have posted before you dropped it off......
Posted via Mobile Device

OP
H

hdtvluvr

LawnSite Senior Member
Runs great when it gets started. I don't shut if off until I'm done for fear I can't get it restarted.

Doesn't use much oil. I used 10W30 so I expect a little oil loss due to things I've read here. Engine has 230 hours. Plugs were dry and a little dark. Starter was replaced 2 years ago. I had a problem with the key switch and burned one up.

I know I should have posted here before taking it in but I've been very busy. I'm comfortable replacing oil, filters, plugs, belts, etc but I've not had much success working on engines.

piston slapper

LawnSite Platinum Member
If its getting spark while cranking....it isn't getting fuel....
Kohler uses a spring loaded choke plate....the lever can fully operate while the chokeplate is sticking open...you have to look at the butterfly plate to mak sure it is fully closing.
Posted via Mobile Device

Restrorob

LawnSite Fanatic
Something I've found on older Dixies is the ignition switch, If you crank the key all the way into the start position till it doesn't move any more, The switch drops power to the fuel cut-off solenoid. With no fuel it won't crank..... Brand new switches right out of the box do the same thing.

When ready to start the machine turn the key into start position ONLY far enough to engage the starter.....

OP
H

hdtvluvr

LawnSite Senior Member
Kohler uses a spring loaded choke plate....the lever can fully operate while the chokeplate is sticking open...you have to look at the butterfly plate to make sure it is fully closing.
Didn't look at the butterfly - just that the lever moved as far as it would go.

Something I've found on older Dixies is the ignition switch, If you crank the key all the way into the start position till it doesn't move any more, The switch drops power to the fuel cut-off solenoid. With no fuel it won't crank..... Brand new switches right out of the box do the same thing.

When ready to start the machine turn the key into start position ONLY far enough to engage the starter.....
This is the first I've heard (read) about this problem. I've always turned keys as far as they go when starting engines. Is there a "fix" for this? Hotwire from starter to fuel solenoid maybe?

piston slapper

LawnSite Platinum Member
That makes sense....RestroRob....as long as the choke isn't fully closing.
You can usually choke past the fuel solenoid.....(crank it when the solenoid is not operating by applying the choke)....however it would quit as soon as the choke is pushed in.
Ignition switches are cheap....and made even cheaper....replace the switch.
Clean the engine harness plug....they fill up with dirt...
Posted via Mobile Device

piston slapper

LawnSite Platinum Member
Should be a 15 amp charging system
Posted via Mobile Device

Restrorob

LawnSite Fanatic
You can usually choke past the fuel solenoid.....(crank it when the solenoid is not operating by applying the choke)

Strange Slapper, Every single switch issue I found was just that. Of coarse the first thing checked is choke closure, And they all would just spin until the battery went low or the key was laxed from locked position.

If the low speed circuit is fed by the high speed circuit via the main jet how would it start with the main jet totally blocked off ? Am I missing something here in my ole age ? Maybe It's past nap time ?