1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Kohler Command vs Briggs Vanguard

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ford850, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Ford850

Ford850 LawnSite Member

Which would you prefer, a 27hp Kohler Command or a 29hp Briggs Vanguard? I heard Grasshopper added the Briggs 29 and 35hp big blocks recently. I'm curious to see which brand you prefer, Kohler or Vanguard.
    I wonder if GH will keep all their current engine choices or phase out some. I think they have 18, 23, and 27hp Kohlers; 29 and 35hp Briggs big blocks; 29hp LC Kubota gas; 21, 22, 28, 30, and 32hp diesels.

2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

The big block Briggs have awesome power and torque. So for power a 35 Briggs is hard to beat. A Kohler would be a good all around engine, nothing wrong with them. I understand Kubota gas and diesels are some of the most reliable engines around so the rest is up to you.

3. Ford850

Ford850 LawnSite Member

I had my mind made up to get a 722D, just waiting for a final demo once the grass gets growing for a good test. But for $1500 less I could get the Kohler Command 27hp or the 29hp Vanguard. I really wanted the Diesel for a quieter, cooler, more effecient, long lasting mower, but with diesel fuel prices it would take quite some time to recoup the price difference.

4. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

The largest LCO here has all grasshoppers and runs the 22 Kubota diesel. He loves them and I would think you could get exempt from the taxes or get off road diesel. I think it varies from state to state. That Kubota would last forever if it has enough power for you. Grasshopper has some of the best diesel options out there. I can tell you a 27 Kohler is a great engine but doesn't feel like it has a lot of torque.