1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum .

Dismiss Notice

Kohler CV15-adjusting valve lash

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ed2hess, Apr 3, 2010.

1. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

This Kohler has adjustable valve Lash(their word) and it does have hydraulic lifters. From from the Kohler manual section 11-15:
    Apply dowward pressure to the push rod side of the rocker arm to compress the lifter and "bottom" the plunger in the lifter bore.

Okay there is nothing about making this adjustment when piston is at top of cyclinder? And how in the world can I compress a hydraulic lifter? I had to replace the lifters because one had failed.

I put the new ones in a jar of oil(before installing them) and pressed on them to get the air out and oil in ....not sure that was necessary. I tried to press down on them out of the machine and they were rock solid.

This is one of my two units that I overhauled during the winter. This one ran one month until this lifter failed....guess I should have replace them on overhaul.

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

There ^^^^^ is where you messed up, Should have installed them empty as below 11.11 in the manual;

[​IMG]

It will be hard to bleed them back down in the block, It would be quicker to take them back out and do it as stated above. Also, Most all valves are adjusted at TDC compression stroke unless other wise stated.....

DXN1EL likes this.
  3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Thank you very much.......another day another lesson. I lost one of the rods and never found it so it was bad day.

I may not have had bad lifters..... I did a leak test when it came in to
    the shop and it was bleeding bad on intake side. I pulled the valve cover off and found rocker loose so I concluded that set screw didn't hold. I rolled the unit to top center and adjusted it. Rolled it over a couple times and lost adjustment so I concluded the lifter was collapsed. So I pulled the head.
    One lifter was rock solid the other wasn't so I assumed the one that was mushie was bad....OK or not.

Unit did start when I adj. them with lifter rock solid but just didn't seem right on pull. So I shut it down.

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Rob....I am still confused about these lifters

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Since I have adjustable rockers then I can assume the lifters are solid. Apparently they only get solid after a few revs in the machine since I have to bleed them before installing. When these lifters are bled they have about
    .100" of motion. So I will be adjusting these valves to .100" + .007??? And how do I tell if the the unit is TDC on the compression stroke?

It just seems like these valves will be held open. I would have thought it would be right to get the lifters solid in cup of oil-put them in- and then adjust them for.007" with piston at TDC. I know the engine will start that way but I cut it back off immediately.

6. Restrorob

If the rockers are pushed down to where the lifters are fully collapsed and the rockers adjusted .003 to .005 there's no way they can be held open.

Once they are adjusted and the valve cover is back in place pull rope the engine like trying to start it BUT with the spark plug out, Do this about six times or so and the oil pump will fill the lifters with oil. The lifter will self adjust the overall valve train.

I went over valve lifter operations with you some time back, I still have that PDF file on hand if you want to gander at it again ?

As long as you follow the instructions on page 11.15 in your manual you should have no issues getting this unit back up and running.....

DXN1EL likes this.
  7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Well Rob was right again and the local Kohler certified repair guy was wrong. He is aware now. I got the valves in and the machine started on the first pull. No small wonder why a lot of my machines have had problems starting. Good thing I stared working on them myself and.......asked the real expert here on lawnsite when I suspected some wasn't right.

My hats off to Rob..:clapping:

DXN1EL likes this.
  8. Restrorob

Thanks Ed, Glad to help.... Thumbs Up

9. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

I would have to read up on this myself. Dont see many Kohlers around here and the ones I have seen dont seem to have adjustable rockers of any kind. I know some do but for some reason the only ones I have been under the valve cover of are the ones you just torque down and call it a day.

10. Restrorob

Pugs,

For some reason this "certified" Kohler mechanic told Ed NOT to follow proper adjustment procedures outlined in the Kohler manual ???

A GOOD Technician will use service manuals to their advantage to assure proper repair procedures, Even though I've been certified in many engine/equipment brands for years I don't think twice about returning to the manuals. There's just too much to remember and too much that can be damaged by not doing so.....

And the main reason, I HATE doing a job twice !!!

DXN1EL likes this.