• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

Kohler cv18

Fernest0

LawnSite Member
Hey guys, I’m working on an older Great Dane super surfer with the kohler cv18 engine. I got a new wiring harness for the engine because it was all hacked up and I have a new harness for the Great Dane side on its way. My question is, the new kohler harness I got is a little different from the existing one. For example, the old harness has a large black wire that grounds to the manifold and goes to the plug, the new harness has an open spot on that pin and no wire. The green wire in the old harness has a push connector that was just “there” and so does the new harness.

I found the manual for the cv18 but the harness in the diagram does not match the harness I have or the old harness by any means. Does anyone have access to kohler and could get me maybe a better harness diagram?
Thanks!

BigFish

LawnSite Fanatic
Look, yer motor could have three different ign. systems. Did you order the correct harness ?

OP
F

Fernest0

LawnSite Member
As far as I know I did. I can’t find a serial number or model and all the stickers are about worn off. Just from looking at it and the diagrams in the kohler manual, it seems like i have just the basic ignition system. Not the smart spark or adjustable timing one

OP
F

Fernest0

LawnSite Member
As far as I know I did. I can’t find a serial number or model and all the stickers are about worn off. Just from looking at it and the diagrams in the kohler manual, it seems like i have just the basic ignition system. Not the smart spark or adjustable timing one
Also, the harness I ordered was the 24-176-40-s

BigFish

LawnSite Fanatic
The simple mag system coil only has one connector fer the kill wire.
More than one terminal means ya have one of the other systems.

The new harness should work, just connect the mower harness ground wire to the motor block.
You might wanna contact Kohler.

OP
F

Fernest0

LawnSite Member
The simple mag system coil only has one connector fer the kill wire.
More than one terminal means ya have one of the other systems.

The new harness should work, just connect the mower harness ground wire to the motor block.
You might wanna contact Kohler.
is there any other way to Id a serial number on a kohler if the sticker is missing on the blower cover?

And like I was saying, even the old harness doesn’t match up to any of the wiring diagrams in the kohler cv18 manual

BigFish

LawnSite Fanatic
is there any other way to Id a serial number on a kohler if the sticker is missing on the blower cover?
You might try Great Dane. They should have a record of what motor ( spec. number ) was installed in yer mower.
You should be able to just match the harness to the motor components.
Plug the motor harness into the mower harness and test each wire with a light.
Study the wiring diagram vs. the actual motor harness.

OP
F

Fernest0

LawnSite Member
Great Dane is now owned by Ariens. I already called them last week to get a parts manual for the mower. They have no record of the Great Dane model number of my mower

VegetiveSteam

LawnSite Senior Member
Look, yer motor could have three different ign. systems. Did you order the correct harness ?
Nope. The Command 18 and 20 have never had but one ignition system since introduced in 1991. Two ignition modules and one white kill lead on each.