Kohler CV20S (1998 Dixie Chopper X2000-50) NO Spark (Need Part ID)

DC1998

LawnSite Member
I have the following mower:

Dixie Chopper X2000-50 (bought NEW in June, 1998)
Serial No.: 2729402687
Vin: 89-17146
Kohler CV20-65541
Model: CV20S Spec: 65541
Family #: SKH624U1G2RB Disp: 624 cc
20210528_143550 - Part is clamped to starter moter but is spliced to white kill wire and ground_.jpg

The part (circled in yellow) I can't identify is an electrical part: black cylinder (about 1" long by 3/8" in diameter) and has 2 black wires coming from it. The part (cylinder) is vertically oriented and was physically located on starter (see hose clamp in yellow circle on photo).

One black wire is spliced into the white wire (kill wire) on the Kohler engine harness by way of that blue splice connector (seen within the yellow circle in photo) and the other black wire has a simple ground connection at the other end that is screwed into engine block.

I think this part has failed (0 ohms) and is what is grounding my kill circuit causing a NO SPARK condition, because it connects the kill wire to the engine ground.

Currently, it shows 0 ohms when tested with multimeter and is grounding my kill wire (white wire) and stopping the spark from occurring even without the ignition switch connected to the harness.
(If I disconnect this part from ground, I measure about 75 ohms between the kill wire and ground. With it connected, it measures 0 ohms between my kill wire and ground.)

Any info on this part would be greatly appreciated.
How can I get another (what do I ask for)?

Thanks,

Mark

65t

LawnSite Member
That's a mercury switch, or level switch, designed to kill the ignition if you operate on too steep of a side hill. I would unhook and remove it and leave it out. If you have not had issues before, you aren't mowing anything that's too steep anyway. That was a dixie part that dixie installed on the engine.

OP
D

DC1998

LawnSite Member
Thanks!
There are several things that the wiring diagram in my owner's manual didn't list.
I wish Dixie Chopper had better documentation about their product in the owner's manual.

Mark

Top Forums