Kohler CV730

wqueb

LawnSite Member
Bought an 09 Dixie chopper new. A year ago with about 300 hrs on the clock, blew a head gasket and started burning oil. Kohler agreed to short block it. While it was at dealer I had them order a canister type air filter system. It came new with the little round filter that sits on the carb. After all was done for about 2 months it never ran right. Would not idle, suck hose from carb flat and would die. Had a lot of excess dirt in filter canister all the time. changed filters twice in 2 months. While at dealer complaining about how it ran, I looked at a mower with the same filter setup and noticed the tech had put the rain cap where the carb hose goes and the hose where the rain cap goes. So that's where all the dirt was coming from. Now its burning oil again with less than 100 hrs on the new short block. Could it be that a lot of dirt got by the filters the way the filter system was hooked up wrong? Dealer says no. What do you think?
Thanks Wayne

Restrorob

LawnSite Fanatic
Wayne,

That dealer is FULL of crap, With the hose/cap hooked up backwards you have been sucking un-filtered air/Dirt right into the engine. That's why it's smoking, The rings and cylinders are likely wiped out.

Time to call Kohler and explain what a bunch of dufuses has done to your new shortblock......

Restrorob

LawnSite Fanatic
Dealer thinks air is filtered either way.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ahhh...... Hooking up backwards puts the air intake on the outside of the filter element, On the outside of the element is the cap/cover with a duck bill valve if your's came with it. Even with the duck bill valve dirt can be sucked through, Air/dirt will travel the least restrictive path through the duck bill over the air filter and pre-cleaner.

Marshmallow has it right, Their try'n to get out of foot'n the bill on another shortblock...... :dizzy:

OP
W

wqueb

LawnSite Member
Update: Dealer called today and said tech did a leak down test. Both cylinders are leaking by rings but one more than the other. Also leaking thru valves. Dealer said I could wait til winter to have it tore down and figure out if it will be a rebuild or short block. Tech said it would not do any more damage to use it the rest of the season as long as I keep oil in it. Tech also told dealer that air is filtered even if hose and rain cap was hooked backwards. Wow! Also said the bill is on him anyway. I'm going to pick it up tomorrow and plan to show tech and dealer how dirt can be sucked straight into engine. Kind a makes me wonder what I'm going to end up with this winter.Oh well.
Wayne

Top Forums