Kohler ecv940 blowing up due to exmark design flaw

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by agent walker, Sep 27, 2016.

1. agent walker

agent walker LawnSite Senior Member

Has anyone else had problems with the Kohler redtech ecv940 engine blowing up on their exmark? The way they have the engine sit in sideways with the head next to the hydro causes it the valves to stick then it overheats and cooks itself. Had that happen on my 2013 exmark lazer Z x series at 1600 hours. My dealer said engine only has 2 year warranty. Now I've found out its a 3 year warranty so it should be covered. I just bought another engine from a friend with scag dealership cause I needed it fixed now.He told me exmark knows there's a problem and is working to redesign it but they won't admit it to the rest the world that there is a problem. It's obviously a design issue because they only have that problem in exmark and hustler mowers, which also sets the engine the same way. He said he's had several other guys with the same problem. It's helped him sell a number of scags! It don't sound like Kohler will reimburse the cost of a new engine theyd want to rebuild it. It has cracked heads as well. He's looking into seeing if they will warranty a rebuild. Anybody else heard of this issue? I'm not impressed with having to spend 3 grand O put an engine in a 2.5yr old 12k mower.

2. ricky86

ricky86 LawnSite Silver Member

Your asking a barber if you need a haircut.

Walker56 and Moar like this.
  3. Dawson

Dawson LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a two year old exmark red (1200 hrs).... Recently it has started having an issue where every now and then it just doesnt sound right when it starts, it usually seems to smooth out and start running normal after just a few seconds but one time (the first time actually) it kept sounding off for an hour or so at the end of the day and felt like it had less power than normal as well. Next day it sounded and ran normally again.

I thought maybe a bad plug or coil starting to go but your post has me wondering now? Does that sound like a sticking valve? What were your syptoms?

The check engine light did not come on or anything.

4. ricky86

Very strange. The overheating defect sure took a long time to show up. Defects usually appear rather quickly. Scags dealer? Um, no conflict there.

Walker56 likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    agent walker

agent walker LawnSite Senior Member

No check engine light. It was knocking bad so loaded it up on the trailer. We've had a ton of rain all year so the engine would have been worked harder with all the tall grass all year. Still should have lasted a lot longer! I see your point about the scan dealer but I go to church with him and have known him for years.

6. ricky86

We have approx 8 out. Toro. No problems as described. Gov problems. Oil filter problems. The transaxle cant generate enough radiant heat to affect the engine. It's just not possible That's why his diagnosis is suspect. It has cooling fans also The only part that generate appreciable heat are the motors. The design is the same for all the new generation models.
    Also, how is he so in tune what going on with Exmark / Toro. Rare it is that I see valve problems with Kohlers. Oil leaks. Yes.
    Do yourself a favor and call Exmark or Kohler.
    Money cancels friendship. Church goer or not. I think he' s being less than trueful. I been in this biz a very long time and are a Kohler " Expert" (For what it's worth). I'm definitely not a trusting soul. But his explaination is just bull crap.

Walker56 likes this.
  7. I MOW ALONE

I MOW ALONE LawnSite Silver Member

how often did you pull access covers and blow out cylinder fins of debris

8. kymowboy

kymowboy LawnSite Member

"how often did you pull access covers and blow out cylinder fins of debris"
    I think we have a winner

9. tundraman

tundraman LawnSite Bronze Member

The problem with these big block motors is they should be water cooled. They make a lot of heat and water is so much better than air and oil for cooling. The placement on my Toro and the heat the hydro fan adds to the head to me is insignificant. Now if that inside cylinder is always blowing much earlier than the outside I would consider it a problem, but I doubt there is any evidence for that.

10. ricky86

Big hp = big heat. Everybody is hp crazy, so give them what they want. Liquid cooling is great. But much more money and also maintence. Some guys have no idea what that word is. Once those thick radiators clog, its close to impossible to clear without a whole lot of work. If you need a 35 or 40 hp in a 60" class mower, the main problem is in the seat. LOl. Buy a diesel. But that's a whole new can of worms.

Walker56 likes this.