1. Maintaining Company Culture During Stressful Times

How do you maintain a positive company culture during a time of social distancing, economic uncertainty, and health worries? Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Kohler ecv940 blowing up due to exmark design flaw

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by agent walker, Sep 27, 2016.

1. OP
    OP
    agent walker

agent walker LawnSite Senior Member

I will say the fins were partly clogged due to an oil leak. I'm not sure where from ,had my mechanic pull the engine. We blow the mower off with handheld or backpack blower, but there was no way to see the leak and clogged dirt. Even with the covers off it would have been hard to see. As I understand, it is the inside cylinder that overheats, due in part to hydro heat, but also not enough airflow because it's so close to hydro. And the hydro fan is in good shaped, no broken fins. As to being so in tune, he was at service school or dealer meeting of some sort. And I did contact exmark and they said contact kohler and I filled out contact form on Kohler's website and never got a reply... Oh and Kawasaki is coming out with 40hp engine...

2. ricky86

ricky86 LawnSite Silver Member

For the third time it has nothing to do with the hydros. Have you mechanic check the oil filter and drain system. That a good place to start with the leak. That's been a known problem area on that series engine.

Walker56 likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    agent walker

agent walker LawnSite Senior Member

The leak was around the breather cover

4. I MOW ALONE

I MOW ALONE LawnSite Silver Member

oil and dirt clogged up cylinder fins and that was the problem

sjessen likes this.
  5. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Yes, the good old breather gasket leak. This has been the cause for many an engine failure. Almost wonder if these gaskets are designed to fail prematurely.

Walker56 likes this.
  6. ricky86

They get cooked in the heat. Then leak, then cook more. When I hear someone say" MY BRAND IS THE BEST" I feel sorry for their stupidity and complete ignorance. Very annoying to mislead a guy looking for a straight answer. Especially a freakin dealer.

Walker56 likes this.
  7. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Ricky, is there anyone who makes "premium" gaskets for these new engines? Surely, someone can come up with something more durable.

Walker56 likes this.
  8. ricky86

No one I know of. I depend on the " Its good enough" attitude of the OEM's for a steady supply of repairs and warranty work LOL. Can they improve? Hell yeah. It's called an o- ring. There's constant pulses there. On both brands.
    Kawasaki is well known for breather gasket leaks. To be honest, this is the first big block Kohler I've heard of with a leak in that area. Kohlers had a problem, on the CH's a while ago with the gskt that would actually blow out. What a mess. That's fixed. But the sumps leak often.They have had problems with that questionable oil filter setup on the big blocks. When a leak is notice, no matter how small.FIX IT. IT WONT GET BETTER. Few guys do.

Walker56 and sjessen like this.
  9. fb40dash5

fb40dash5 LawnSite Member

I'd have to fourth (or whatever) that it's got squat to do with where the head is sitting.

Where is this missing airflow supposed to be coming from? The cylinders and heads are wrapped in shrouds directing air from the fan over them. As long as the blower can pull in outside air, and the hot air can escape from the shrouds, sitting next to a hydro pump is going to have exactly diddly to do with valve temperature.

10. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Had to replace the sump gasket on a 740 efi Kohler at 900 hours.

Walker56 likes this.