1. Maintaining Company Culture During Stressful Times

How do you maintain a positive company culture during a time of social distancing, economic uncertainty, and health worries? Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Kohler ecv940 blowing up due to exmark design flaw

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by agent walker, Sep 27, 2016.

1. jmoney7269

jmoney7269 LawnSite Member

Gonna have to throw the BS flag on this one! That kohler big block is one tough engine, and them hydros dont get hot enough to transfer EXTRA heat to the engine. The engine is AIR COOLED meaning it draws air through the top and forces if between the cooling fins. That engine just like any other engine will fail if it's overheated from what we at the shop would call owner neglegence. I repair and replace kohler, kawasaki, briggs, vanguard. This can happen to any of them and is quite common on engines that have oil leaks or typical maintenance is not performed.

2. ricky86

ricky86 LawnSite Silver Member

On average,that's about right. Usually around the oil filter. There's a o-ring that hardens,then a leak. The oil cooler, more often then not, gets ignored. It clogs rather quickly from clippings. It does have a beneficial effect
    on oil temp. These engines need all the help they can get. Most of them get -0- in the way of maitence. Not the manufactures fault. Maybe not you, but I see it every day. Screens clogged, oil not even on the stick. It goes on and on.

Walker56 and sjessen like this.
  3. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Asked the dealer if there was anything I could have/should have done. he was reply was "No, this is common and most guys running z's torch their engine before they realize they had a leak because the engine is behind the seat.

Walker56 likes this.
  4. Dawson

Dawson LawnSite Bronze Member

What ZTR rider doesn't have the engine behind the seat?

I will say the big kohler is shoe horned into a space designed for smaller engines so that may be part of the problem,if there is a problem. I'm not saying there isn't an issue, although I agree with others that it's unlikely to have anything to do with the hydros, but if there is an exmark caused problem for the engine it's probably just because of how tightly the engine is fitted in.

5. ricky86

ricky86 LawnSite Silver Member

From what I've been told, those G/3 Exmarks and Toro's were a joint venture between Toro and Exmark. Toro has the tech and $$$$$$, Exmark has the common sense. I find few, if any " Design Flaws" It's a common term used by...... Never mind. The whole point I contributed to this this thread was we are surrounded by 1 or 2 VERY inept dealers. It really pisses me off when a dealer, who guys put their trust in are flat out lied to. I tell the truth. No mater if it hurts your little feeling or not. The scags dealer is a xxxxxxx lying sack of poop. It will catch up to him unless his base are morons. And the OP cant even admit his "Church" going "friend" lied. Sort of reinforces my point, no. Nothing more to say about this thread.

Walker56 likes this.
  6. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

all engines leak at some point. i had to replace all the gaskets on my kawi engine at 700hrs.

total cost at dealer was $500. they had to pull the entire engine to do it.

7. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

May have posted this earlier in the thread. If not, my opinion is the oem's could come up with "lifetime" gaskets at minimal extra cost.

Walker56 likes this.
  8. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

for real. i think the stuff they use after they repair it is better than what comes on the engine from the factory.

9. OP
    OP
    agent walker

agent walker LawnSite Senior Member

I agree the should have better gaskets. I run walkers with 26hp kohler efi and they all leak around the breather plate, even after replacing them eventually they leak again. and around the crankcase cover, no gasket there just silicone and they still leak. Uggh. I hate leaks and fix them when i see them, but never saw this leak. It was just oil n dust, not grass.

10. OP
    OP
    agent walker

agent walker LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like they will warranty the engine. Dropped it off today. The rep should be by next week to look at it and ok the repair