1. Maintaining Company Culture During Stressful Times

How do you maintain a positive company culture during a time of social distancing, economic uncertainty, and health worries? Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Kohler ecv940 blowing up due to exmark design flaw

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by agent walker, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Trimstar

Trimstar LawnSite Member

I have heard melt downs.
    But your first mistake paying 12k lol

2. OP
    OP
    agent walker

agent walker LawnSite Senior Member

Well actually I only paid 10,500. It was a demo but it was sold as new since I was the first registered owner. But they list for around 12-13k

3. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

Lots of misinformation in this thread..
    The problem is in the Kohler Ecv940 and Ecv980 engines...period...not anything to do with Exmark Red Tech or the UHT hydro's.
    The engines have been redesigned in the last year to address the overheating issues.
    The newer engines run about 30% cooler than the former spec #'s....running a 20w50 synthetic oil helps also..
    The cooling problems with the original engine design were magnified by the EFI system which keeps the engine near the perfect fuel ratio...14.7 to 1...stoichometric...this lean mix makes the engines run pretty hot ..around 300 degrees ..which makes the valve seats fall out of the heads..
    The CV940 and Cv980 carbureted engines don't have anywhere near the engine failures...usually camshaft issues...occasional heads..
    Hope this helps ...
    Slapper

zlandman, sjessen and Grant11 like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    agent walker

agent walker LawnSite Senior Member

That does help. I talked to Kohler and exmark at the gie on Fri. And they said what you did. The inside exmark booth had the old n new ecv940 engine blocks there that showed the differences. The new one has more cooling fins and a bigger fan. There was a fellow there from Canada that had the same issue with 2 or 3 of his exmarks.

5. Grant11

Grant11 LawnSite Senior Member

I was in the market for a new mower and my dealer told me he had 9 kohler's grenade on him this year that were under warranty... Told me everyone of them had dirt and grime in cylinder fins and everyone was over heating because of it.

6. piston slapper

I work at one of the busiest Exmark dealerships in Florida... I have personally replaced about 20 EFI long blocks and about as many complete big block engines since May..I have a pretty good understanding of what these engines can and can't do..
    True...installing the engine sideways will make heat pool up on the forward cylinder but if the engine cooled as well as the command twins it wouldn't be an issue.

zlandman likes this.
  7. piston slapper

We sold over 200 exmarks with the Ecv 940 and Ecv 980 engines...
    Kohler is going out of their way to resolve the durability issues ...warranting complete engines well into the 3rd. and even into the 4th year on occasion....I have not seen any oil usage or overheating issues with any ecv940 or Ecv980 engines built since 2015.

Breezmeister and sjessen like this.
  8. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Fanatic

Good info, there 'slapper !

9. tundraman

tundraman LawnSite Bronze Member

I talked to the engineer who redesigned the block and air breather on the motor and his claims are they will burn way less oil and run a lot cooler. The Toro maintenance rep said they have replaced quite a few of the old Kohler 940s. Glad to see they updated a good motor along with it's efi system. I thought the new one ran quieter too but I did not have the blades engaged so that might be the reason.

I am sure Toro highly encouraged Kohler to get the motor right so they can continue the dominance of the Z market.

10. hdtvluvr

hdtvluvr LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Piston, any opinions/issues regarding the Kohler ECV-880?