1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Kohler Filter Problems losing oil

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cachelakecountry, Aug 19, 2005.

1. cachelakecountry

cachelakecountry LawnSite Member
    from ohio

Had just changed oil a month ago. I check it every time I mow. I had been mowing for a couple hours when the engine started shaking. I shut mower down and watched smoke come from engine. I checked oil and there was none. When I examined the motor I could see oil leaking around the filter.
    The filter was tight. I called my dealer and found out that Kohler had a one time a sent a service bullied out on Kohler filters and bad gaskets. Since then I have found 5 people just in our area that had the same problem and thought it was their fault for not tightening the filter properly. Our mower is at a repair shop and the Kohler rep has looked at it.
    While the rep admits to us that Kohler did have a problem with the filters coming loose, they would not have come loose enough to allow ALL the oil to come out. Okay, it just comes loose a little? Anyway Kohler has refuse to take any responsibility for this. If you are losing oil......check the filter.... please email me if anyone has had a similar problem.
    Me09@sbcglobal.net