Kohler goes to new rating system for HP

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
There's been a lot of chat here lately about the down grade in HP by Kawi, and maybe a few others, but I have seen it mentioned several times that Kohler either hasn't, or isn't going to go that route.

Well, I just talked to my Deere dealer and he informed me that Kohler has gone to the new system of measuring HP ratings, even though their website still shows the old numbers. For example, the new EFI 925 w/27 HP Kohler, is now rated at 24.9 HP under the new system.
The 25 Kohler in my 720 is now rated at 22.8 hp under the new system. Same engines, but it does make you feel like you are underpowered somehow now, even though nothing has really changed.

OP
Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
From the numbers he gave me, it appears that the 27 and under crowd is losing about 2-2.5 in HP per engine size, and up to maybe as much as 4 HP for those of over 27 HP, but he didn't have quite all of Kohler's specs since Deere doesn't use any of them over 27 HP for their machines anyway.

OP
Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
Jason, which FX is in your machine? I know the 910/920 share the same block, but they still have different designation numbers. The engine in the 22 HP 910 (FX 651V) is now 20.5 HP. If you have the FX 691, you now have 22HP, but if you have the FX 730v you now have 23.5 HP.

OP
Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
I've always felt HP numbers are just marketing tactics. Personal testing is the only real way you can know if a machine will work for you. :usflag:
I agree. I've been saying this for years. When I was a kid we mowed with 8-12 HP Kohler cast iron engines in Deere, IH Cub Cadet, Sears (Ropers) Jacobsen etc and the 10 and 12 HP Kohlers would run a 48" deck like it was no big deal, and do it in some pretty tall grass to boot.

djagusch

LawnSite Platinum Member
There's been a lot of chat here lately about the down grade in HP by Kawi, and maybe a few others, but I have seen it mentioned several times that Kohler either hasn't, or isn't going to go that route.

Well, I just talked to my Deere dealer and he informed me that Kohler has gone to the new system of measuring HP ratings, even though their website still shows the old numbers. For example, the new EFI 925 w/27 HP Kohler, is now rated at 24.9 HP under the new system.
The 25 Kohler in my 720 is now rated at 22.8 hp under the new system. Same engines, but it does make you feel like you are underpowered somehow now, even though nothing has really changed.
They haven't implemented the new system. If they had they would have it on the website, in mfg's website's, on the engine itself. Sounds like they have done the testing but not letting it get out to the masses. Which is pretty piss poor in my mind.

OP
Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
They haven't implemented the new system. If they had they would have it on the website, in mfg's website's, on the engine itself. Sounds like they have done the testing but not letting it get out to the masses. Which is pretty piss poor in my mind.
No, your right, and I think that's what I said in my first post. The dealers do have the info though, so I'm guessing they simly don't have every engine re-rated yet, and will post it all when it's all done.

Ridin' Green said:

Well, I just talked to my Deere dealer and he informed me that Kohler has gone to the new system of measuring HP ratings, even though their website still shows the old numbers.
For example, the new EFI 925 w/27 HP Kohler, is now rated at 24.9 HP under the new system.

djagusch

LawnSite Platinum Member
No, your right, and I think that's what I said in my first post. The dealers do have the info though, so I'm guessing they simly don't have every engine re-rated yet, and will post it all when it's all done.
I can't see why they can get it do dealers but not on the website. FYI my dealer is a authorized service center for Kohler and has no info sent to him.