1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Kohler Oil Leak

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by jcb287, Nov 15, 2006.

1. jcb287

jcb287 LawnSite Member

I have a Lazer with a 25hp horizontal Kohler that is leaking oil were the dipstick tube goes into the block.Does anyone know if there is an o-ring on the tube?I have not seen one on a parts list. It just started leaking a couple weeks ago and it sure makes a mess.Not sure how the tube comes out either but I think it is just pressed into the block.Any thoughts?

2. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

3. FIXDISS

FIXDISS LawnSite Senior Member

From checking Kohler website under horizontal command series ,25 hp it lists an upper oil filler o-ring and a lower one. Upper part # 12-15301S and lower is 12-15302S. You can click on Kohler icon at top of this site and follow prompts after "enter as guest " to look up anything you need for Kohler engines.

4. FIXDISS

FIXDISS LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry. I got those #'s reversed. 12-15301S is the lower o-ring.

5. thecrankshaft

thecrankshaft LawnSite Member

Also, check your crankcase pressure as excessive pressure (there should be vacuum) can cause oil leaks.

6. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

pull the tube out and spray the lower portion with 3M brake cleaner. Also dry out the bore with the same. Then put a coat of red or black rtv silicone on the o-rings and reinstall. That should do it.