1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Kohler or Kawasaki?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Live4Mowin', Jun 23, 2003.

1. Live4Mowin'

Live4Mowin' LawnSite Member

Is there a noticeable difference between the two or does it really matter which one to get?

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

The kawi motors make more torque. More torque in thick grass or using mulch kits is a huge advantage.
    For example, I have a 23 kawi on my lazer. You need a 27 kohler to get more torque.

3. Kohler, you can get many more hours on it than a Kawi.

4. fatboy5803

fatboy5803 LawnSite Senior Member

I had a Kohler 13 h.p., and a Kawasaki 15 h.p. now, hands down with the Kawasaki for torque.. Now the longevity is a question?? Time will tell.... Hope this helps..

Lou :cool:

5. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Kohler

6. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Kawasaki Liquid Cooled all the way!!!:D

7. Live4Mowin'

Live4Mowin' LawnSite Member

thanx guys, that helps a lot!

8. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

this is kinda like ford and Chevy. pick which one you like the best :) because they both perform well

9. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I have had great success with the Kohler motors. I have one that is still in use from 1973.

Gravely_Man

10. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I've owned 8 mowers, and all but the latest, a Lazer Z hp, had Kohlers. Very few problems with them over the years. The kawi is in the shop at 88 hours due to losing power and dying. I'll know the diagnosis soon.

I think they're pretty even. I can't imagine one lasting in the marketplace if it were markedly inferior to the other.