Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.K., two weeks ago, I put a front crank seal in a CH-20S (Spec#64697, Eng. Family 4KHXS.6242GC), and knew this wasn't the end of it, because it looked like it was leaking around the governor shaft lever coming out of the block. Took it in again, cleaned it,pulled the shroud blower covers, cleaned again, started it up and it's coming out of the breather cover and it's pumping out a quart to two quarts a day. Pulled the breather cover and the sponge that is normally there is dissolved, just tiny peices to pick up with tweezers. Pull the reed valve and retainer, clean, inspect, reinstall, button everything back up and it still is pouring out oil. I remember some posts on here about some of the problems, but my question is: is this a recall item? I'm going to replace parts, but I read that sometimes what the reed valve sits on needs to be shaved because the seat is warped, any ideas? Thank You

· Registered
12,640 Posts
You are right on with the reed seating surface mowerman. There was a casting flaw at one time that left a burr around the hole that would hold one side of the reed up from seating. Also as you mentioned replace the reed, After being heated and cooled x amount of times it could have lost some spring tension (they are made of a spring type steel).

I can't think of anything else off hand to cause so much oil pumping other than worn/collapsed rings.

Good Luck

· Registered
783 Posts
you did use a new gasket i assume you did not mention you did so that is why i ask. i had many of those gaskest leak after a few hours but they now use a silcone impregnated one is that the one you used?

· Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Y'all, Just got all the parts in and replaced all the breather assembly pieces, the list of parts, reed valve, top assembly,(with new gasket),hose to carb, the sponge inside the breather assembly, and NO more massive oil leak,(1 to 2 quarts per Hour). My guess is after 1500 hours the gasket was the culprit, but anyhow the machine is back out producing, man it was interesting finding out where and why it was leaking. Later, K

· Registered
958 Posts
Hey Y'all, Just got all the parts in and replaced all the breather assembly pieces, the list of parts, reed valve, top assembly,(with new gasket),hose to carb, the sponge inside the breather assembly, and NO more massive oil leak,(1 to 2 quarts per Hour). My guess is after 1500 hours the gasket was the culprit, but anyhow the machine is back out producing, man it was interesting finding out where and why it was leaking. Later, K
Hi Kevin, good to see you back and your problem with the Kohler sorted. We'd figured you'd won the Nation Lottery and cleared off to Hawaii :dancing:
Got your pm fine, atb Phil

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.