• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

Kohler Pro vs Briggs Vanguard

Priceless mowing

LawnSite Member
Which engine is better, when it comes to lasting longer without being replaced or rebuilt. How many hours are you able to get without major issues? I have 155 hours on my 26.5 Kohler Pro horizontal without any problems.

puppypaws

LawnSite Fanatic
Because the liquid cooled Kawasaki was 2000 dollars more than the Kohler pro on my SCAG turf tiger. I also wanted an air cooled engine as there is less that can go wrong with it.
Liquid cooled systems in vehicles work very well for the most part but there is maintenance and upkeep that must be performed and it's not free. I have numerous liquid cooled engines and have no complaints when proper maintenance is performed.

I am like you where mower engines are concerned and want nothing other than air cooled engines for the reason I don't like the added maintenance and worry about cooling failure. Mowers run in an entirely different environment than do my vehicles, with mowers being low to the ground and dealing with airborne trash every time they operate.

I've operated liquid cooled diesel mowers and can tell you without reservation I would never own a liquid cooled mower. They are great for some people and I understand their thinking, what I am saying is they are just not for me in my application.

OP
P

Priceless mowing

LawnSite Member
Liquid cooled systems in vehicles work very well for the most part but there is maintenance and upkeep that must be performed and it's not free. I have numerous liquid cooled engines and have no complaints when proper maintenance is performed.

I am like you where mower engines are concerned and want nothing other than air cooled engines for the reason I don't like the added maintenance and worry about cooling failure. Mowers run in an entirely different environment than do my vehicles, with mowers being low to the ground and dealing with airborne trash every time they operate.

I've operated liquid cooled diesel mowers and can tell you without reservation I would never own a liquid cooled mower. They are great for some people and I understand their thinking, what I am saying is they are just not for me in my application.
I totally agree!!!!
the Kohler Pro horizontal engine is a premium engine that seems to stand up to some serious abuse as I had a 25 HP on an old turftiger with around 1800 hour and stared a ran great with using oil. I traded it to my new turf tiger with the 26.5 fuel injected engine because of the dependability I experienced with the 25 HP.
I am also intrigued with this Briggs Vanguard engine as I have heard they also can run without problems and are long lasting engines that can approach 2500 hours.

puppypaws

LawnSite Fanatic
The big-block Vanguard engines have always been of excellent quality but were built for 30 years in the Daihatsu factory in Japan. They are now being built in the US, may very well be as dependable but only time will tell at this point.