• PPP The Second Time Around
    The Emergency Coronavirus Relief Act of 2020 passed in December contained $284 billion for the renewed Paycheck Protection Program (PPP). Click here to read the article.

Kohler vs Kawasaki

nate1422

LawnSite Member
I have a 2004 ExMark Metro 48", pistol grips with 15 hp kawasaki. I have the opportunity to even up trade for a used 2005 Metro 48" with 2 wheel velke attachment and ECS grips with the Kohler. Is it a wash with the engines or is there one better than the other, any drawbacks. Personally I like the ECS grips and was in the market for a stand-on so this solves that problem.

Restrorob

LawnSite Fanatic
Well, They both have their problems. Kawasaki with coils and Kohler with head gaskets. So It's your call !

mkwl

LawnSite Bronze Member
lawnmaniac883 said:
Kohler makes water faucets and engines, kawi sticks to engines, up to you!
Exactly, would you buy an engine from a company that makes TOILETS? I'll stick to Kawasaki thanks! I've had NO problems with the Kawasaki engines on my mowers. They always start easily, and have a ton of torque and power! It's your call though :rolleyes: .

iluvscag

LawnSite Senior Member
Kawasaki.:)

scottishmaximus

LawnSite Senior Member
if the condition of the mowers is about the same, i'd switch in a heartbeat. ECS is a lot nicer, especially when cutting along fences. Oh, ECS will not get you in the groin either. I have kohler and kawi engines and am indifferent about them. I have a 12.5 kohler and kawi, both on belt drives and 36" decks. The kohler seems to have a ton more power. Both start easy and make money. quit walking and start riding.

QualityLawnCare4u

LawnSite Gold Member
I have had decent luck with both, but have had a little better luck with the Kohler. Now siince I said that....:D

dcondon

LawnSite Silver Member
QualityLawnCare4u said:
I have had decent luck with both, but have had a little better luck with the Kohler. Now siince I said that....:D
I agree with you!!! One reason I will go with the Kohler is because it's much better on gas. Also starts better in cold weather!!!!:)