Kohler won’t start!!

smileydrug

LawnSite Member
Hi All,
I have a hustler fast track with a 17hp Kohler sv530. Was mowing and it died and wouldn’t restart. Did the basics. Have spark and fuel. Noticed gas was coming out of the carb. Pulled the valve cover and the intake pushrod was bent. Replaced the pushrod and rocker. Valves move so it doesn’t appear stuck. Put everything back together and started it. Would run for about 10 sec then died. I was able to do this 3 times, now it’s back to how it started. Rechecked fuel and spark and fuel is still dumping out of the carb. Checked the head again and all is still good. What am I missing?

BigFish

LawnSite Fanatic
Sounds like the carb has a leaking inlet needle/seat. Pull carb ,clean & inspect.
Something caused the pushrod to bend, right? Probably sticking valve, or valve guide may have shifted. Clean head fins.

JoeRagMan

LawnSite Senior Member
Sounds like the float in the carburetor is not closing which is flooding the engine. You need to repair problem and then change the oil as it's possibly diluted with gas and over filled. Either a carb repair kit or replacement if you don't feel comfortable rebuilding carb.(needs a new needle and seat?)
Good luck.
Sorry, Big Fish can type faster! He gave you great advise!

Last edited:
OP
S

smileydrug

LawnSite Member
Update. Pulled the carb and the solenoid was frozen. New carb wasn’t much more than the solenoid and a Walbro, no longer a Nikki. Assembled it and still just cranks. Will fire on starter fluid. Anything else to check before I pull the head? Big Fish what did you mean by clean the head fins?

JoeRagMan

LawnSite Senior Member
I'd start with the basics, if it will start on fluid, I would think it's either starving for fuel from a clog in the tank, fuel line, etc. or dirt internally in the carb. What Big Fish meant by cleaning the head fins; there are raised fins on the cylinder head that provide cooling. If they are caked with dirt from an oil leak, grass/dirt is attracted and the engine runs much hotter causing other issues. Some operators blow the engine off after every cut to prevent problems.Good luck.

BigFish

LawnSite Fanatic
A frozen/stuck solenoid won't cause the carb to flood gas. The float/ needle controls fuel in bowl.
What JoeRag said.