Kombi 111 vs 131 by end of month!!

OP
Wink'sLawnManag.

Wink'sLawnManag.

LawnSite Member
That's where I'm at, it's either the 91 or the 111 model. Just haven't decided on which one to pull the trigger on. You hit the nail on the head with the insert for the attachments by the driveshafts, great to hear. You and I are more alike than we think as I baby all my equipment & will be only one operating as well. Will def follow advice and not be in a hurry when Changing attachments & insterting them into shaft. I am an aircraft mechanic in my daily job & approaching g all my stuff with same perspective as the more I take care of it , the longer it will last. Super excited about info you passed on about Sharing gear head and dont have to swap whole thing. Thanks again for informative convo and will hit all these awesome things down in my notes. Take care and stay safe bud!!!

rlitman

LawnSite Silver Member
...I take special care when inserting the attachments and never just jam them in. Occasionally the drive shaft wont quite line up on the first try and I pull it out, twist the driveshaft slightly and then reinsert. The parts are pretty durable, but just the same, I try to avoid putting any unnecessary stress on them...

Worst case scenario if you're too rough when inserting the Kombi attachment, you can damage the little hairpin springs on the motor side of the shaft. They're quite inexpensive though (under a buck), and not actually even necessary. They just nudge the square shaft enough to align the shaft with the socket more smoothly.

More important is that you pay attention to have the shaft completely bottomed out before using it. If it's not fully inserted, you can do real damage.

Anyway, on a new machine, the clutch is kind of tight, and it might take a little wiggling to get the shaft in easily. It gets better with use.

OP
Wink'sLawnManag.

Wink'sLawnManag.

LawnSite Member
Went today and pulled the trigger on the KM 111R!!! Got the straight shaft edger and came with a Free trimmer attachment ($99) value. Also got the additional 4 year warranty and just had to buy some additional oil. Thanks for all your help and support and can't wait to use this beast. Be safe and everyone help/ knowledge is second to none.

IMG_20200427_163642366.jpg

Crazy 4 grass

LawnSite Fanatic
Went today and pulled the trigger on the KM 111R!!! Got the straight shaft edger and came with a Free trimmer attachment ($99) value. Also got the additional 4 year warranty and just had to buy some additional oil. Thanks for all your help and support and can't wait to use this beast. Be safe and everyone help/ knowledge is second to none.

View attachment 400694

Congrats on your purchase! Thanks for letting us live vicariously through you in the process!

J-Charles

LawnSite Member
I don't doubt you about the noise level differences at all, but this is the first that I've ever heard about that. Interesting. For your usages of primarily string trimming and edging the 91 would be plenty powerful enough. Either way will be great. The 111 is a great middle ground.
When you say plastic sleeve are you talking about the black rubber end covers for the attachments? Or the clear plastic tube the 3ft extension comes in? Or the plastic that's inside the end of the attachments that surrounds the driveshaft? I'm assuming you are talking about the latter. I haven't had any issues with mine.
A note on that. I am the only one who uses my kombi equipment and I baby my equipment. I take special care when inserting the attachments and never just jam them in. Occasionally the drive shaft wont quite line up on the first try and I pull it out, twist the driveshaft slightly and then reinsert. The parts are pretty durable, but just the same, I try to avoid putting any unnecessary stress on them.

Fyi if you dont know this already - a lot of the attachments share gearboxes. For example I already owned the power broom and instead of buying the cultivator attachment, I just bought the cultivator tines and swapped them out with the rubber paddles. Saved me a couple hundred bucks. Did the same thing with the brush blade and the string trimmer head. For lesser used applications this method works great.
I too am enjoying the kombi discussion, thank you.

I am on the fence to invest in a kombi 111/131/or dedicated pole hedge trimmer. If I was to get what I want it would be $1k. 131 with the angle hedge trimmers. Hard to justify I have only 1 job @ $200, line up I could use it. I am afraid buy and it will sit for a year or more

Crazy 4 grass

LawnSite Fanatic
I am on the fence to invest in a kombi 111/131/or dedicated pole hedge trimmer. If I was to get what I want it would be $1k. 131 with the angle hedge trimmers. Hard to justify I have only 1 job @ $200, line up I could use it. I am afraid buy and it will sit for a year or more

One of the biggest benefits I've found is that with the kombi there is only one power head to maintain. Also that one power head gets used a lot more. Engines like to be running not sitting. If i had dedicated tools some would sit unused the majority of the time.

Check around to see if there is possibly a rental place in your area that is also a stihl dealer. I have this set up nearby and could rent seldom used attachments if needed.

rlitman

LawnSite Silver Member
...Check around to see if there is possibly a rental place in your area that is also a stihl dealer. I have this set up nearby and could rent seldom used attachments if needed.

Well, the angle hedge trimmer is about the most expensive attachment. If you've got the powerhead, it might make sense to rent that for an occasional use, assuming someone does rent those.

springfield_pest

LawnSite Senior Member
I have both 111 and 131. I keep a string trimmer on the 111 most of the time. I will use it with the hedge trimmer when needed. I keep an edger on the 131 for normal use but also have a redefiner, and pile saw to use with it. If I was going to get one go with the 131. The only reason I have both is no one had the 131 when I was buying the 111.

Crazy 4 grass

LawnSite Fanatic
I have both 111 and 131. I keep a string trimmer on the 111 most of the time. I will use it with the hedge trimmer when needed. I keep an edger on the 131 for normal use but also have a redefiner, and pile saw to use with it. If I was going to get one go with the 131. The only reason I have both is no one had the 131 when I was buying the 111.

How you like the redefiner?

Top Forums