Kombi 130 & Attachments

rlitman

LawnSite Silver Member
The motor is probably the same, so I totally understand the confusion. It takes the same gearbox attachments, but things like the blower wouldn't fit on the telescoping shaft, and you'd have to be the jolly green giant to use it as a string trimmer. :) That'd be a sight!

xstatikplus

LawnSite Senior Member
The motor is probably the same, so I totally understand the confusion. It takes the same gearbox attachments, but things like the blower wouldn't fit on the telescoping shaft, and you'd have to be the jolly green giant to use it as a string trimmer. :) That'd be a sight!

Lol stand in the middle of the yard and spin around once to do the line trimming and done :D
Posted via Mobile Device

OP
D

D. R. Martin

LawnSite Member
I'm buying the Kombi. It just makes too much sense not to. The dedicated 110 line trimmers and edgers can cost up to $500 a piece. I embarrassed myself at the local Ag Pro John Deere dealer today. :) He mentioned much larger dedicated units like the 250 or something. I said Stihl doesn't make those, which of course they do. Those sized units just aren't mentioned on their website for some reason.

I'll probably opt for the larger blower though so that I can attempt leaf cleanup in the fall. Either that or I'll buy a Billy Goat leaf vacuum / bagger unit.

kawasaki guy

LawnSite Fanatic
I'm buying the Kombi. It just makes too much sense not to. The dedicated 110 line trimmers and edgers can cost up to $500 a piece. I embarrassed myself at the local Ag Pro John Deere dealer today. :) He mentioned much larger dedicated units like the 250 or something. I said Stihl doesn't make those, which of course they do. Those sized units just aren't mentioned on their website for some reason.

I'll probably opt for the larger blower though so that I can attempt leaf cleanup in the fall. Either that or I'll buy a Billy Goat leaf vacuum / bagger unit.

where do you live? A STIHL trimmer FS90R is only $299 I think, and an edger, STIHL FC90 is only $350. Same prices as Shindaiwa.

I like stihl, but I think the Shindaiwa machines are better. My T242 is over 8 yrs old, and the only repair I did was replace a $3.00 spark plug boot. And, those speed feed heads rock. I don't even know how to do a stihl head anymore. Even my kombi has an aftermarket speed feed. I hope you have better luck with that edger than I did. I like the trimmer (but I perfered Shin) and my little BG55 handheld(unbeatable, $150), but the kombi feels like it is not straight sometimes(maybe it is way I stand, or it is change thing turned) it is 2-3yrs old. The bg55 is 8-9 yrs old, and still starts in 2-3 pulls.

Last edited:

Lazer_Z

LawnSite Silver Member
Text my buddy...my mistake his telescopic hedge trimmer is a dedicated unit. I thought it was a shaft for his kombi
Posted via Mobile Device
There is no such thing as a dedicated extendable hedge trimmer from Stihl. He most likely has an HT101/131 with the saw head removed and a hedge trimmer in it's place.

whiffyspark

LawnSite Fanatic

That leaf vac is junk for yards. Works ok on parking lots though
Posted via Mobile Device

LawnMowerMan2003

LawnSite Senior Member
where do you live? A STIHL trimmer FS90R is only $299 I think, and an edger, STIHL FC90 is only $350. Same prices as Shindaiwa.

I like stihl, but I think the Shindaiwa machines are better. My T242 is over 8 yrs old, and the only repair I did was replace a $3.00 spark plug boot. And, those speed feed heads rock. I don't even know how to do a stihl head anymore. Even my kombi has an aftermarket speed feed. I hope you have better luck with that edger than I did. I like the trimmer (but I perfered Shin) and my little BG55 handheld(unbeatable, $150), but the kombi feels like it is not straight sometimes(maybe it is way I stand, or it is change thing turned) it is 2-3yrs old. The bg55 is 8-9 yrs old, and still starts in 2-3 pulls.

I would buy another Shindaiwa; I've used both Echo and Shindaiwa for a few years. Do they make a system with attachments? I have to check to dealers here too, because I haven't even looked in a while to see what they have. I only had $200 for my trimmer so I went to Home Depot. I could also go with the Echo PAS with a 28cc engine and pole saw.

I still have time to do more research, since I don't have enough saved up yet.

LawnMowerMan2003

LawnSite Senior Member
I went to the Shindaiwa website and have the M254 multi tool. But, I don't know how to compare the engine with the Stihl or Echo. I don't know how large 130 Kombi engine is, but the largest engine for the Echo is larger than the 24.5 Shindaiwa engine. I don't know if it makes a difference that the engine is "2/4 stroke". I don't even know what that means (I know the difference between 2 and 4 stroke, I don't know what 2/4 is).

I think I would rather have the 28.9 engine listed for the T282. It seems to be closest to the T27, and that was my main weed trimmer for a long time. But apparently they don't give you that option with the multi tools. So if I didn't buy Stihl Kombi I'd probably go with Echo PAS.

rlitman

LawnSite Silver Member
There is no such thing as a dedicated extendable hedge trimmer from Stihl. He most likely has an HT101/131 with the saw head removed and a hedge trimmer in it's place.

Yes and no. I've seen that setup on the rack at my dealer's. Yes, it is the same shaft/engine as the telescoping pole pruner (HT101 or HT131, though I do not know why you would want the bigger engine for the hedge trimmer), but I've seen it with the hedge trimmer gearbox. I do not see a model number for that on Stihl's website, but that does not mean that you cannot buy it that way, which implies that there is indeed such an animal, even if it does not have its own name.

Top Forums