Lawn Care Forum banner

Kubota or John Deere

15K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  LHS Lawns 
#1 ·
Trying to decide between a John Deere 3520 or a Kubota 3920 To me the kubota is better because they are the same price but the kubota has a 40 hrs where the JD is 33hrs. The kubota has more bells and whistle than the JD and I think you get more for your money. Like to hear from some of yall that has both

#4 ·
Had a Kubota L2250 with over 5,000 hours, and it still ran well.

Then a 2800, had it for 700 hours or so and traded it to buy a 9540.

I've got over 700 hours on the 9540 and not a single problem.

Also, our zero turns get a ton of use and they haven't had a single problem.

Kubota stuff is about as solid as it gets in the world of machinery...

#5 ·
Not familiar with a 3920 from Kubota, but the 3520 is a really nice premium machine from Deere (find out the tranny option - key decider here)

#6 ·
I have run John Deere for close to 20 years. John deere has more creature comforts, better seat, etc. than Kubota even though Kubota has stepped up their game in the newest series. JD tractors are well built and the dealer support is generally very good, the main reason I stayed with them. JD tractors also have more features designed for efficiency, like IMatch, Autoconnect, and their loaders come on and off more quickly than Kubota. I would describe JD as like the Cadillac and Kubota is a chevy or ford. My next tractor will be Kubota because they are built stronger, heavier components, more lift capacity, and they are simpler, with less frills and are designed to get work done, not aimed at rich estate owners to mow their grass like JD seems to be moving towards. Both will last years of commercial use if taken care of, but Kubota is definitely built for ruggedness where Deere is built lots of times for asthetics.

#7 ·
I have run John Deere for close to 20 years. John deere has more creature comforts, better seat, etc. than Kubota even though Kubota has stepped up their game in the newest series. JD tractors are well built and the dealer support is generally very good, the main reason I stayed with them. JD tractors also have more features designed for efficiency, like IMatch, Autoconnect, and their loaders come on and off more quickly than Kubota. I would describe JD as like the Cadillac and Kubota is a chevy or ford. My next tractor will be Kubota because they are built stronger, heavier components, more lift capacity, and they are simpler, with less frills and are designed to get work done, not aimed at rich estate owners to mow their grass like JD seems to be moving towards. Both will last years of commercial use if taken care of, but Kubota is definitely built for ruggedness where Deere is built lots of times for asthetics.
Well I dont believe this to be true at all, and way too much of a wide swipe opinion....both mfgs offer stripped down economy models as well as premium brands....I dont see where one has more features than the other in those lines....as for the attachments personally Imatch is overrated and overpriced, autoconnect is way too expensive and really not needed, and both have QA loader options....your talking attachments and not the actual tractor

#9 ·
I am the very unhappy owner of a brand new Kubota 3200 HSD which replaced my 1996 JD 855. About the only good things I can say about it are that the steering radius is commendably small and the power steering works with very low effort. The problems I have with it include a number of sample defects such as a broken hood rod on delivery, a misaligned hood which has chipped the paint on the hood and the cowl, and the hydraulic fluid was almost a gallon down on delivery, PTO engagement lever that slips out of engage position, and the lift arm/mower height lever that does the same.

Far more serious are design problems, including excessive high-frequency engine vibration and noise, various rattles, inability to set to a repeatable height above lowest setting, and questionable ergonomics. For example, the tractor has differential brake pedals on the right side. However, to use differential braking, you have to depress left or right brake pedal and step on the forward or reverse pedal at the same time. Neither Kubota nor God equipped me with a third leg, so the differential brakes are useless. (And don't say to use the cruise control: it disengages when you step on the brake pedal - as it should!)

A Kubota tech came out and corrected one or two the sample defect issues and the dealer can correct the others. But both have acknowledge the design issues. The dealer is taking back the Kubota and has ordered a JD 2720 to replace it.

All I can say is: Kubota - not ready for prime time. BTW, in formal correspondence, I use the initials ASME after my name: Member: American Society of Mechanical Engineers.

#11 ·
I mow about 8 hours per week on fairly rough areas, bush hog about an hour a week, and use the frontloader for moving stones, log sections, dirt etc. I have about half a mile of driveways to plow, and a similar amount of trails in the woods to keep clear.

Both the JD and the Kubota are capable of doing these jobs with ease.

#14 ·
Well, the dealer is taking back the Kubota and has ordered a JD to replace it. That's the way things work out here in rural Virginia. So now I just wait.
I think you'll like the 2720 I have a couple at my job. Although we don't have loaders for them (use them for mowing and snowblowing) they have always started up and done the job. Are you getting one with a cab? It's very nice inside of those and I have felt comfortable inside even in the worst of weather.

#15 ·
I think you'll like the 2720 I have a couple at my job. Although we don't have loaders for them (use them for mowing and snowblowing) they have always started up and done the job. Are you getting one with a cab? It's very nice inside of those and I have felt comfortable inside even in the worst of weather.
No, no cab. I don't do much in cold weather other than the very occasional snow-plowing here in the mild-wintered Shenandoah valley. And I ordered a 2520, as its 26 hp ought to be sufficient. I had 21 hp on the 855 and never lacked for power.

#16 ·
No, no cab. I don't do much in cold weather other than the very occasional snow-plowing here in the mild-wintered Shenandoah valley. And I ordered a 2520, as its 26 hp ought to be sufficient. I had 21 hp on the 855 and never lacked for power.
I see, I though you said 2720 in other post. I also have to correct myself. I use 3720s at my work, not 2720s. Bit of a difference there lol.

#17 ·
I see, I though you said 2720 in other post. I also have to correct myself. I use 3720s at my work, not 2720s. Bit of a difference there lol.
When I bought the 3200, it was the dealer's suggestion, saying that I would not be able to use the six foot mower deck with a smaller Kubota engine. (This might or might not have been factual.)

I initially agreed to the dealer's idea of the 2720 as the replacement. However, since I had never had an issue with power with my 21 hp 855, I decided to save some money and go with the 26 hp 2520. I don't think I will notice the difference for my uses.

#19 ·
Both Kubota and JD are great tractors, you can't go wrong with either one.

Like someone else said you have to get the tractor that fits you and your jobs.

Dealer support plays a big role in deciding also.

I always thot I'd get a Kubota but after renting a JD 3520 eHydro for an all day lawn overseeding job, I was smitten with the machine.

The 3520 rode and handled like a dream, it just fit me ergonomically over the Kubota and it will do everything I need to do for lawn work and landscaping.

I got one a month later. At 37.5 hp and 31 pto hp its all I need and then some.

I think I would have been happy with a Kubota but I'm really pleased with my JD, it just fits me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.