Kubota SVL75 and U-55

Albery's Lawn & Tractor

LawnSite Bronze Member
Been a long time since I've been on this site. I now work for a Land Development and Water company here in Denver, CO as a project manager. We are currently looking at buying our own equipment (been contracting everything before now), and in this market the used equipment I've been finding is just junk. CTL's with 2-3K hours people still want $25K or better and they need tracks and under carriage work. So we are now looking at buying new. I've looked at and demoed most brands and I've decided on the Kubota SVL75 and the U-55 Mini ex. Does anyone on here have these machines and if so how are they holding up?

AWJ Services

LawnSite Platinum Member
I have a Kubota KX161 and with 1500 hours only repair has been to the main pin and bushing on the bucket. The U55 would be my choice for a 5 ton especially with the 2 sets of aux lines for the boom.

The CTL just has not been out long enough to say yet. I know a few who own them and they seem to like them so far.
A Takeuchi TL140 would be a better choice. Similar weight and much better power.

ksss

LawnSite Fanatic
I ran a 75 and was unimpressed. Perhaps I was expecting big things given its a Kubota, the machine did not deliver in view. However if you have run everything else and this is what you like, then you found your machine. Kubota has a solid reputation in other compact equipment, so the belief would be that this machine will be solid as well. However given that its a completely new machine in a new area for them, that always gives one a little pause. If the machine has issues it will really come down to your dealer stepping up to the plate for you. If you have prior experience with the dealer or know of their reputation for good service then that would help make up my mind. Although a frank conversation up front never hurts either of what you expect from them.

OP
A

Albery's Lawn & Tractor

LawnSite Bronze Member
Met with my sales rep from our local Kubota dealer today at our ranch to discuss prices on buying both machines. We can get the U55 w/ thumb, angle blade, 2 sets of aux. hydros up front, radio, 24" & 36" bucket for $57,950; and the SVL-75 w/ cab & a/c, air ride seat, & 72" bucket for $45,500. I'm waiting to hear back on what he can give for trade value on a 30' & 15' no till seed drills that we no longer need.

OP
A

Albery's Lawn & Tractor

LawnSite Bronze Member
The U55 and the KX057 are the same machines just one has zero tail swing. Same motor and hydro systemss. The U55 is only about 200 lbs less but is able to lift more. We work in tight spaces in the mountains alot on dams and lake projects and a zero tail swing is a must.

AWJ Services

LawnSite Platinum Member
The U55 and the KX057 are the same machines just one has zero tail swing. Same motor and hydro systemss. The U55 is only about 200 lbs less but is able to lift more. We work in tight spaces in the mountains alot on dams and lake projects and a zero tail swing is a must.
The KX has more reach and I would have a hard time believing that a zt swing will out lift the same machine with more counter weight stuck farther out. The Kx series is very stable and I work in very tight spots as well. I hate running zts machines because most are really tippy. The KX is a happy medium so to speak although the U-55 is a sweet machine as well. Either will be a great choice. I set alot of very heavy stones( 3000 pound range) and I am very impressed with the Kx performance when the machine is over the side of the tracks.

manatarms

LawnSite Member
They are mostly the same machine. The U55 has a shorter dipper, which I assume accounts for it's greater mechanical advantage/crowd force and slightly higher lift capacity over the blade. Over the sides and back the KX has higher capacities. The house is slightly smaller on the U55 as well. I demoed both units and the U55 is tippier.

-manatarms

The KX has more reach and I would have a hard time believing that a zt swing will out lift the same machine with more counter weight stuck farther out. The Kx series is very stable and I work in very tight spots as well. I hate running zts machines because most are really tippy. The KX is a happy medium so to speak although the U-55 is a sweet machine as well. Either will be a great choice. I set alot of very heavy stones( 3000 pound range) and I am very impressed with the Kx performance when the machine is over the side of the tracks.

AWJ Services

LawnSite Platinum Member
They are mostly the same machine. The U55 has a shorter dipper, which I assume accounts for it's greater mechanical advantage/crowd force and slightly higher lift capacity over the blade. Over the sides and back the KX has higher capacities. The house is slightly smaller on the U55 as well. I demoed both units and the U55 is tippier.

-manatarms
Makes sense. The Kx-057 lost crowd force over the Kx-161 also. Maybe just a spec and not a difference in real world but worth mentioning.

manatarms

LawnSite Member
Yes it did right!? Seems like the 161 was the best of both worlds and now they split the difference. The 161 had less tail hanging out there too!

Makes sense. The Kx-057 lost crowd force over the Kx-161 also. Maybe just a spec and not a difference in real world but worth mentioning.