Kubota ZD21 60" safety switch issue?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Bunton Guy, Oct 3, 2007.

1. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

Ahhhhhhh i know what you are talking about. My grasshopper with a kubota is that way and it has 3 wires though. It was an external shut off. My zd is an internal shut off and when you turn it off it should cycle the fuel shut off and it pushes a rod out and when its done cycling the spring sucks it back in.

2. JCLawn and more

from MI

I think you are right on how the shut off works for the zd21 but my zd326 is different. Here is a each shutoff. Screenshot_20190530-153922_Messicks App.jpg Screenshot_20190530-154012_Messicks App.jpg

3. carsonwh1

carsonwh1 LawnSite Member

So, still no luck. But! I have eliminated the starter, fuses, battery and ignition switch. I have continuity tester and began testing connections to control module. When i have key to “on” there are 3 of the 12 prongs are at least getting power. When i turn key to “start” only 1 more prong seems to get power totaling 4 of the 12 prongs. Obviously i am no expert but shouldnt every wire port be getting power when starting the mower? which makes me think the module is the problem. The picture below is NOT from my mower, I just wanted to show what I was looking at with the 12 wires. Secondly, I was curious if both these pieces are considered the control module? or if they are separate. I removed the lower piece in the picture as well and it had a bit of corrosion on the connection. Once again sorry I am new to this. Father passed away last year, left quite a bit of equipment, legally not allowed to sell anything and landscaping doesn't pay for a car, mower and tractor haha. So, for $$ reasons I am trying not to get a machanic. Thank you for responses! [​IMG]

4. Walker56

Walker56 LawnSite Fanatic

The bottom device is a voltage regulator as used on a Kohler and other engines. The regulator controls charging output.

5. JCLawn and more

from MI

The bottom piece is the voltage regulator for the alternator. You can have that unplugged and the mower will run. The top one looks like a the control module. When you turn the key to the start position the solenoid signal wire is becomes hot, not you don't want that to work in the run position. That wire should run back to a relay. The relay will have a wire from the control module as well. When the wire from the control module gets 12volts the relay will open allowing juice to flow from the key to the starter. If you sit there with the key on and all the levers in the start position you will hear that relay open, move a lever and you hear that relay click again closing. Put the lever back and click it opens. Now if that wire from the control module is less than 12volts or less than the battery voltage, then you have a safety switch not working or the module thinks that. Meaning a wire or connection could be corroded in the safety switch circuits.

carsonwh1 likes this.
  6. JCLawn and more

from MI

The service manual for these are only like $25 and they are extremely helpful. It will explain how everything works and how to test it.

carsonwh1 likes this.