Kubota ZD331 mower deck gear box issues

jomeokee

LawnSite Member
I have a ZD331 that is my residence only mower. It has only 174 hours. The gear box has been making a noise that finally caught my attention. I got to looking and found the center pulley that runs the three spindles had a very excessive amount of wobble/wear.

After breaking in apart I found the key was badly worn and the pulley was wallowed out too. I replaced my neighbors ZD326 shaft with 400 hours last year. The pulley that I bought from Messicks appear to be heavier. When I spoke to the repairs guys that look like they have never heard of this problem. I'm calling that the pulley had a poor heat treat. This low an hour failure is NOT right.
I had notice some sort of an odd sound coming from the deck but didn't make the connection that the gear box pulley was failing.

Are there any members that have had this issue? This mower has 174 hours on it. It's used to mow 2 acres around my home.

Thanks for reading and shoot me some advice.

This repair is going the cost me north of $510.00

OP
J

jomeokee

LawnSite Member
Bummer,
Sounds like it wasn't assembled properly or a nut backed off. Likely you will just have to pay the $500 if it is out of warranty.

Yes, I fully agree. I sent Kubota Corp a detailed letter with photos showing the problem . I'm not holding my breathe.

Thanks,

Tom