Labor Costs

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by desigscapes1980, Jun 12, 2018.

1. desigscapes1980

desigscapes1980 LawnSite Member

11DC410E-E940-4142-9D16-33071EEB622A.jpeg 8D031EA0-6378-41DB-9C49-E4FAC21D61B5.jpeg How’s everyone handling the shortage of competent individuals and the demanding rates of pay. Example attached of what we are considering paying. I will be the first to say this is crazy.

Bcoogan23 likes this.
  2. wjjones

wjjones LawnSite Senior Member

Thats why Im a solo crew. I couldn't add input because of that but I know it can suck on your bottom line.

3. TX Easymoney

TX Easymoney LawnSite Platinum Member

I've had guys quit that were being paid 17.50 right out of the chute...10 days after they start...tell me they want 20 to 21 to stay....
    Welcome to the new normal

wjjones likes this.
  4. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Gold Member

Right now we have the lowest unemployment in history . Just about anyone that wants a job has one . just about every company is looking for good competent help . So the good ones know what they can get . Your compensation report is based on 40 hours a week 50 weeks a year . Rain days , winter , slow times , are you still giving them 40 hours ? Landscaping doesnt appeal to the go getters unless the money is right

wjjones and snomaha like this.
  5. desigscapes1980

desigscapes1980 LawnSite Member

Yes we keep our teams busy year round.

6. snomaha

snomaha LawnSite Bronze Member
    from midwest

This would be an example of what we are paying for an experienced turf or sprinkler tech to start. Doesn't include the OT or bonus dollars they can make as well.

upload_2018-6-13_9-28-28.png

desigscapes1980 and tonygreek like this.
  7. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

When it says base salary
    Does that mean he’s employed year round, or eluding to how much he makes “in season”
    And if you are paying salary do you adhere to a strict 40 hour week, or do you have “incidental
    OT” for field employees that isn’t necessarily shown in the table above because it’s just an example?

8. snomaha

snomaha LawnSite Bronze Member
    from midwest

The above example was from a hire two weeks ago in the turf division. One year of experience and has his pesticide license. Year round salaried non exempt position - easier to control OT with turf applicators, so minimal OT spend.

9. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

I was just curious if your “salary” was seasonal or year round

10. Ben Bowen

Ben Bowen LawnSite Bronze Member
    from PNW

With overtime our low rung guys are making $20+/hr during summer and not a whole lot less during the winter. Even so we would like to hire 2 guys but haven't been able to. We are not large enough to offer competitive benefits, but we do offer a ton of flexibility and treat our employees like partners.

I have an hourly rate I use when preparing proposals and raised it by $20/hr in September last year. We are still booked out 5+ months so I guess that is how we handled it....

Bcoogan23 likes this.