Lawn Care Forum banner
21 - 40 of 61 Posts
Just remind your pia customers that sprinkler systems are never finished but just brought to an invoice.
Also, always use my analogy that a sprinkler system is just like a vehicle. There will always be repairs and upkeep as there are moving parts, electrical systems that fails, routine maintenance just like changing oil, etc. Plus there are always upgrades to make the system/vehicle better, more efficient, and more shiny!

Maybe that's my next calling, creating some unnecessary BLING for a sprinkler system. Something to shine it up, but does absolutely nothing.

Also, always use my analogy that a sprinkler system is just like a vehicle. There will always be repairs and upkeep as there are moving parts, electrical systems that fails, routine maintenance just like changing oil, etc. Plus there are always upgrades to make the system/vehicle better, more efficient, and more shiny!

Maybe that's my next calling, creating some unnecessary BLING for a sprinkler system. Something to shine it up, but does absolutely nothing.
They already have that.... They're called rotary nozzles!
Posted via Mobile Device

Agreed!

Today I dealt with what I just found out either a billionaire or extremely high millionaire . He had lots of questions on his sprinklers. He was nice though
Not like the lady first job of the day. She changed things around with out telling us and then freaked why her plants aren't getting water and I told her we would have to come back , of course I didn't know the extent of the job when I arrived... So I said we can come back either at the end of my day or in a couple days from now... " Bla bla bla! I got 5 rentals for you and 10 nieghbors for you!! I'm taking them allllll away if you don't fix this now!!!""
my reply is "if you want to impress me, take your eye out"................... we all breath the same air mitch :confused:

i just made a 100 mile turnaround to look at a "friends" pool. known the guy since he was 16, he's doing well right now and is a limited partner with one of my best friends.

long story short, he calls while i'm on the way home and tells me that he got phone prices from 2 other companies and the low price was less than $2600 and that included a pool sweep, i told him to go with that company.

i feel insulted that he resorted to this form of price shopping and abused our "friendship" in this manner.

nobody else has visited the site, done any testing or made any inspections of the structure.

the equipment that he wants is around $2000 my cost, the main drain is clogged, the water level is just below the top of the light (indicative of a niche leak) the slide needs re plumbed, the pad will need enlargement, the in-ground plumbing is 1.5" instead of of 2", the main drain is plugged
as is the suction line between the backwards plumbed suction lines...my list goes on and on.

on top of all of the mentioned items, the pool will require an anti entrapment drain retrofit to be VGB compliant and no contractor or service company will work on the pool without the retrofit, "it's the law"

all of the trades are being degraded by both the state of the economy and the general opinion of the public vs "blue collar" individuals.

the oldtimers say that if it was easy everyone could do it

Had a guy call today needing a leak fixed near or below the sidewalk. Wanted a price. I told him my x-ray vision was on the fritz and I can't see what was broken below ground, so I can't give him a price. Since we have to use a shovel, the meter starts when we get there. I gave him my prices. he then said that a handyman service gave him a very high price to replace the two pipes all along the sidewalk. I explained they were probably wasting his money by replacing the whole piping, and we could just fix the pipe that is broken.

Ended with a "I'll call you back if we need you".

Had a guy call today needing a leak fixed near or below the sidewalk. Wanted a price. I told him my x-ray vision was on the fritz and I can't see what was broken below ground, so I can't give him a price. Since we have to use a shovel, the meter starts when we get there. I gave him my prices. he then said that a handyman service gave him a very high price to replace the two pipes all along the sidewalk. I explained they were probably wasting his money by replacing the whole piping, and we could just fix the pipe that is broken.

Ended with a "I'll call you back if we need you".
i got one of those from a property mgmt/reality company last week, rude on top of that.

i am toooooo busy doing something to answer that call.

I love it when someone calls, asks my rates, I quote our rates, and then I hear the smug chuckle and get something along the lines of "you're not my guy then", Click. Glad I weeded them out early.

I love it when someone calls, asks my rates, I quote our rates, and then I hear the smug chuckle and get something along the lines of "you're not my guy then", Click. Glad I weeded them out early.
Oh no....didn't you get a memo? As a small business owner you're not allowed to make money. As a matter of fact if you do you're just greedy! How can you expect Bob and Susie homeowner to make the payments on their his and her's matching BMW 5 series if you charge what's fair?

Oh no....didn't you get a memo? As a small business owner you're not allowed to make money. As a matter of fact if you do you're just greedy! How can you expect Bob and Susie homeowner to make the payments on their his and her's matching BMW 5 series if you charge what's fair?
I like the ones that say "oh my gosh, I don't even make that much." Really lady, because NEITHER DO I! There is a lot of overhead that gets paid from that way before I get paid.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.