Lawn Care Forum banner
41 - 60 of 61 Posts
I like the ones that say "oh my gosh, I don't even make that much." Really lady, because NEITHER DO I! There is a lot of overhead that gets paid from that way before I get paid.
People are generally clueless as to what it costs to run a business. I was having a casual conversation with a newer client the other day about the economy and what things cost and I mentioned that our fuel bill is about $8K a month. His jaw dropped. Then I told him what all our insurance costs per month and that payroll was $35K every two weeks. I think I made an impression.... I think he understands why we have to charge what we charge now. Some people get it, others never will even if you were to hand over your financial statements!

This a little bit of a different topic bit related. Who of the other types of contractors have the least respect for irrigation? What I mean is when other trades are working around irrigation system who damages them them the most and doesn't even care. I feel that it is the septic guys who just f__k things up and bury it without marking or telling any one. Like today I go to the job where the cesspool caved in when I was pulling pipe, they filled another old pool and in the process broke a head off the end of a lateral line and buried the pipe 3' down in the sand so the water wouldn't even surface. These guys knew the system was brand new and it wasn't even wired and they just don't care.
Posted via Mobile Device

in one sense, septic guys have free rein to destroy any irrigation, because nothing in a sprinkler system should be touching a septic field
what is the thinking there? just curious. But they sill destroy it even when installing new septic in a new area of the property. Last year they put in some big precast dry wells and left some cut pipes buried heading down in the dirt and spread new soil on top. I had the zone running for about 15 min trying to find the break when i take a step on the new soil and sink to my ass in quick mud. It was perfectly dry on top but 4' of muddy top soil under the surface.

I've seen codes written that grouped together "sewage and/or lethal substances" (air break only permitted) - so caution around septic fields isn't a big surprise. But try to follow that rule and cover the lawn properly.....

From the Texas Administrative Code:
(1) all irrigation piping and valves must meet the separation distances from the On-Site Sewage Facilities system as required for a private water line in §285.91(10) of this title (relating to Minimum Required Separation Distances for On-Site Sewage Facilities);

3) any water from the irrigation system that is applied to the surface of the area utilized by the On-Site Sewage Facility system must be controlled on a separate irrigation zone or zones so as to allow complete control of any irrigation to that area so that there will not be excess water that would prevent the On-Site Sewage Facilities system from operating effectively.

Minimum Required Separation Distances for OSSF.

Interesting topic. When I started 40 yrs ago, everyone wanted the older guys to do their work. It was tough as an upstart. Gradually as I came of age, the Walmart mentality changed all that so that only price mattered as if irrigation was a commodity like a washer, dryer, computer, car etc.

Though stressful in some ways, the economy has rewarded me for my longevity, knowledge and adherence to quality work. I find many prospects today really carefully shopping and doing their diligence in making an informed decision. I used to get laughed out with my high price. Now I seem like a wise investment.

Who of the other types of contractors have the least respect for irrigation? What I mean is when other trades are working around irrigation system who damages them them the most and doesn't even care.
Do I count? seeing as how I have skimmed out a few zones with my skid during a landscape install or change on more than a few occasions. But have always restored or re-installed or had arrangement's made.

This a little bit of a different topic bit related. Who of the other types of contractors have the least respect for irrigation? What I mean is when other trades are working around irrigation system who damages them them the most and doesn't even care. I feel that it is the septic guys who just f__k things up and bury it without marking or telling any one. Like today I go to the job where the cesspool caved in when I was pulling pipe, they filled another old pool and in the process broke a head off the end of a lateral line and buried the pipe 3' down in the sand so the water wouldn't even surface. These guys knew the system was brand new and it wasn't even wired and they just don't care.
Posted via Mobile Device
i feel that all tradesmen look down on any trade other than their own, until a man walks in another's boots he may tend to feel superior to others.

the more trades that you learn, the more respect that you gain for the craftsmen. i happen to have been fortunate enough to have done a lot of different things in my life and have the utmost respect for a craftsman.
pikers, hacks and shackers suck, but hey...............aint no one perfect

41 - 60 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.