1. Maintaining Company Culture During Stressful Times

How do you maintain a positive company culture during a time of social distancing, economic uncertainty, and health worries? Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Lake pump pressure issues

Discussion in 'Irrigation Pumps & Supplies' started by Christopher Sanchez, May 23, 2020.

1. Christopher Sanchez

Christopher Sanchez LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I have a customer that has a 1.5 hp pump that is about 10’ above the water level. After wiring the pump all zones have extremely low pressure, heads just weep or hardly pop up, for that reason I cannot get an accurate head count. The property is large, the furthest zone being approximately 200yd from the pump and is highest at the street with a substantial slope toward the lake. When the pump is on and water is flowing the pressure gage holds steady at 40 psi. Customer Says the system worked well in the past.

if what the customer says is true, how do I increase pressure to get system working decent?

P.s. I don’t believe the pump has any sort of pressure regulator or adjustment.

2. jdmccay

jdmccay LawnSite Member

What are the inlet and outlet sizes of the pump? With that big of a line and that that high above the source it's possible that you're outrunning the pump.

Do you have a check valve installed on the intake? Have you checked that it's working properly?

Is there an intake screen? Is it clogged? Is it sucking up mud from the pond? Is it on a float to keep it off the bottom?

3. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

So you just installed a new pump? Does it match the capacity of the old one? Why was the pump replaced?

Where is the pressure gauge located?

4. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

Hate to ask (well not really) but don't you have to be licensed in Tex? Are you? Reason I ask is these questions seem pretty newbie

zlandman likes this.