landline phone-->google voice or magicjack or..

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by jbturf, Feb 11, 2019.

1. jbturf

jbturf LawnSite Bronze Member

hi,

looking at moving a business landline to google voice or magic jack or ooma etc.
    has anyone successfully done this?

looking to save money and cut back some, currently paying for 2 phone lines,
    thinking to move one now (no contract) and then possibly cancel the other when
    contact expires.

what do you use? how did porting go? and how reliable is service?
    thankyou

hort101 likes this.
  2. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

Have used voice since 11’

ITS FREE

3. Dawson

Dawson LawnSite Bronze Member

My dad used various versions of magicJack for about 10 years, half the time I couldn't get through to him or his phone wouldn't ring or didn't let him know that I'd even called. I wouldn't even consider magicJack for a business number.
    I used Google voice for a long period Of time and never really had any problem with it, and from what I've been reading recently Google seems to be starting to support it again and update it.

oqueoque, jbturf and hort101 like this.
  4. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Silver Member

Magic Jack is so cheap I'd go with it over Google Voice because Google has a habit of just ending products they no longer want to develop. I know there are guys here that use it, and I got it for my parents years ago and they've never had issues.

You also get the benefit of an adapter for use with analog phones.

oqueoque and jbturf like this.
  5. AlohaMowing

AlohaMowing LawnSite Member

I have used 1-VoiP for several years and have been consistently happy with it. Porting my number to it went smoothly, customer service has always be responsive.

I never would use Google Voice. Like other Google services, when Google says "free" Google means they take payment not in cash, but they are making money from you anyway in the form of personal data.

oqueoque, jbturf and hort101 like this.
  6. jbturf

thanks for the info all, researching some more, I think ill try the google for now, from what I have read if you pay to port in your number $20, its free to port out, so if google does shut down you can port out to somewhere else. I also didn't realize they had a ethernet voip adapter for google voice-good news. the real challenge though as I see it now is that you can not port in a landline # to google voice, you must convert to mobile first then port. I called Verizon wireless, they want $40 to do the port and said there would be a 30 day hold to port back out, so im looking at t-mobil now. post your results please, thanks

oqueoque and hort101 like this.
  7. Dawson

Dawson LawnSite Bronze Member

You know more about it than I do, all I used it for was the free voicemail serviceThumbs Up

jbturf and hort101 like this.
  8. jbturf

Using Comcast now, they really nickel and dime business accounts and price has shot after original contract expired.

hort101 likes this.
  9. jbturf

Done, business landline (Comcrap) —>moved to googl voice.
    Works awesome so far, and the app is far better than Comcrap
    Business app. And a bonus now have free texting with the
    Google service. Whole process took about three weeks and
    Cost $38.50. Also got the obitalk adapter, put this in place
    Of the Comcast voice modem at shop.

10. wildstarblazer

wildstarblazer LawnSite Bronze Member

May not be what you need but, I have a second line on my cell phone for 2.99 per month through an app called side line. There are other apps that are similar. So each line is separate but you have to have cell service with the primary number. This way I know if its a customer calling or my personal contacts.

jonthepain, hort101 and oqueoque like this.